[ SIX ]

School was the next problem in Clover and Peter's life

           School was the next problem in Clover and Peter's life. They had missed a full day of school because May didn't feel it was right for them to go back a day after their uncle's death. However, the two attend school the next day, Friday. As they wake to the sounds of their alarm clocks, the apartment is silent, there isn't the usual chatter that there was just two days before. Clover and Peter step out of their doorways into the hall, glancing sheepishly at each other. The two walk into the kitchen to see a note on the counter.

Kids, I took a double shift today, won't be home until after dinner. There are leftovers in the fridge, meat loaf and some soup. Love you both, get home safe. Mom/Aunt May

Peter places the note back on the counter as Clover reads it over after him.

"So..." Peter says.

Clover turns to the fridge and pulls out some fruit, "So..."

"I haven't asked you how you're doing" Peter says.

Clover washes some fruit and places them in two bowls. She slides one across the counter to Peter, "I still can't get the blood out from under my nails, I haven't been able to sleep and now my mom is quickly becoming an absentee mother. How do you think I'm doing Peter?" she says, her voice laced with annoyance and sarcasm.

Peter purses his lips into a frown, "You can talk to me about it you know" he nearly whispers.

Clover forces a small smile and places their dishes in the sink, "Thanks. We should get going though."

Peter nods and the two gather their school things and head out the door, locking it behind them. Walking down the street makes Clover think back to two nights ago, a quick flash back to her kneeling over her father crosses her mind. Tears brim in her eyes as they walk into the station. Peter can see her tears and grabs her hand, squeezing it lightly. Clover squeezes back. As they take a seat inside the train, Clover turns to Peter.

"I'm sorry that I snapped earlier. I'm just not sure how to deal with this. I don't want to hurt you Peter, you're one of the only people who understands what I'm feeling. I love you, I want you to know that" Clover says.

Peter smiles wide, "I love you too Clove. Plus it's only been a few days, we're both still letting it settle in. I will always be here for you, whenever you need me. You can always talk to me about anything."

Clover and Peter spend the rest of the train ride in a tranquil silence, just listening to the rhythmic clicking of the train against the tracks. Walking into Midtown, side by side, Clover and Peter are met with stares from their classmates, looks of pity. The two try to act normal, like they don't notice the stares. Even as the first bell rings, students still hover around them, whispering to their friends. They part ways reluctantly as they walk to their first classes on opposite ends of the school.