An Interesting Proposal

~ehehehehe, be prepared for awkward and awesome - lokikatie~

Katie's POV

I smile at my braid, feeling glad that I can at least do a normal braid in my storm of blonde curls. I walk into the hallway, knocking on Loki's door.

"Just a moment!" I hear his British accent yell. I smile. The doorknob twists open, and Loki smiles back at me, wearing his favorite armor, and, of course, the golden boot guards.

"Happy birthday!" I whisper, hugging him.

"Thank you, Princess. Now we must go or my mother will be peevish," Loki warns.

"You mean, you didn't plan this?" I question, confused.

"Can you imagine me planning a ball for myself?" he says, smirking. I think about it, then nod.

"Does she do one for Thor?" I ask.

"She did, but then he got married," Loki smirks, hiding something.

"You're hiding something, you sneaky devil," I say, poking him in the side.

"What makes you say that?" he laughs.

"I know you," I say as we walk to the courtyard. There is a small gathering of people, mainly Thor's friends, but I do see Tom, which makes me smile. I imagine Loki eating one of the beautiful cakes and burst out laughing.

"Katie, enlighten us on what you find amusing," Thor booms as his friends stare at me. I debate telling him.

"I tried to imagine Loki eating a beautifully frosted cake," I smile sheepishly. One of Thor's friends finds this entertaining, and his whole group erupts with laughter. Loki looks at me, trying to figure out why it was funny.

Soon, everyone is seated at the ever present dining table, waiting for opening remarks. Odin stands and clears his voice, silencing some of Thor's already-drunk friends.

"We gather this evening to celebrate Loki's day of birth," Odin remarks, earning loud whoops from guests around the table.

"Your mother and I love you and give you best wishes!" Odin smiles, then seats himself.

Frigga stands now and says,"Let our celebratory feast commence!" Everyone piles their plates high except for Loki and I, because Loki is waiting for his pudding bowl, and I typically don't eat alot. Once Loki has his bowl, he stacks his plate high and fills his bowl. He looks vibrantly happy, talking and eating and drinking.

Once everyone is finished, dancing begins, and Loki asks me to dance. We twirl around and around, Loki leading, being the more skilled dancer. I make him stop after a while, asking to get air. Loki grins widely and we walk to a quiet balcony.

I look up at the stars, amazed at the bright galaxies. Loki clears his throat, and I turn to him.

He gets down on one knee and says,"Katie, you make me smile when I am sad and laugh when I am depressed. I can barely remember my life without you, and I can't imagine ever having you gone. Will you do me the great honor of being my beautiful wife?" I smile, tears running down my cheeks. He opens a little golden box, showing me a sapphire surrounded by diamonds on a silver band.

I gasp, overwhelmed with surprise and happiness.

"Yes!" I whisper. "Happy birthday," I say as he slides the ring on my finger. I wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him in close, kissing him.

Applause erupts around us. The others had been watching, and I didn't care. I was happy.

×*×*×*×*×*×

We walk down the cool marble hallway to our rooms.

"Goodnight, Princess," Loki says, twisting the door handle to go to his room.

"Wait, Loki, will you stay in my room?" I say, crimson rushing to my face.

"Um, okay," he says, awkwardly. "In Asgardian culture, we do not accept this until after marriage, but-"

"Not like that, silly," I say. Now Loki blushes. I walk into my closet and pull out the first pair of pajamas I see, too tired to care about the pile of clothing on the floor. Loki hugs me before I flop onto the bed,  giving up on staying awake.

"That's not very princess-like," Loki says, curling up beside me, his cool chest soothing my tired back. I laugh, then slip off into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

×*×*×*×*×

Loki's POV

I feel violent shaking beside me and open my eyes to see Katie, clutching her ribcage. I realize immediately that it is another panic attack. Her shrieks of pain frighten me, but I know how to fix it.

I move her arms away from her ribs, placing mine there and letting a flow of dark green magic into to the tight, twisted muscles. Her breathing slows, and the shrieks stop. She relaxes into my arms, silent tears running down her face.

"What happened? What caused this?" I whisper.

"I- I thought about after we get married, I'm not ready for children or having you leave or- I'm scared," she whispers back, curling up to me.

"Princess, I would never force you into something unless I knew it woild help you. I never want to see you unhappy," I say, kissing the top of her head. She slowly falls back asleep in my arms, her wavy hair strewn around the pillow. I let myself fall back to sleep, never letting go.

×*×*×*×*×