Meeting Gregory Kirk

So, yesterday the new school year started. My new school seems nice enough, nothing in particular. We had the ceremony; then were divided in classes; took the books and that was that. I talked to nobody. Just tried to blend in with the environment. There are some already made groups, but I don't think I'll have any problem finding some company.

I don't want friends. After what happened last year, I don't think I would easily trust anybody anyway. And I am really glad we actually moved and I know nobody around, not in the school, not in the neighbourhood, not anywhere. When my parents had told me we were to move at the end of the school year, I was almost devastated, but after what happened, I was more than happy. It is my salvation!

Anyway, back to school today and I think I have already started talking to everybody in the class, and it is only the third break. I mean there are only two people who haven't already come to introduce themselves to me. One is a nice looking girl and the other is a nice looking boy.

So, I say, "Hi!" to the girl and she stares at me as if I called her a whore. But I smile at her. "I'm Jim."

"Anna."

"Nice to meet you."

"I suppose," and she looks the other way. Good! So, she is Anna Snob; nice. So, let's see what about the boy. Probably a snob too, for he doesn't speak with anyone. At least Anna has some girls around her.

He is playing sudoku on his mobile. "Hi."

He looks at me, smiles slyly and says, "hi". Then he turns back to his sudoku. Yeah! A snob.

"I'm Jim."

He turns to me and he looks surprised for some reason. "Oh!" and he puts his phone in his pocket. "I'm Gregory. Nice to meet you, Jim." And now he smiles shyly.

"Nice to meet you too, Gregory," I answer and he still looks at me smiling. He is cute. Ok, he is not a snob, so why isn't he talking with anyone?

At that very moment, John grabs me by the shoulder. "Jim! Come here!" he almost yells. I want to excuse myself, but as I turn to say this to Gregory, I think I see, just for a split second, a deadly expression, but then he smiles again, jumps from his seat waving happily to the snob, "Anna!" and he runs towards her and joins her party.

"Don't talk to him," John says in a serious tone.

"Why not?"

"He is a faggot."

"Yeah, I could tell he's gay the moment he spoke, but so what?"

"He will try to rape you."

I laugh, but John still looks serious. What? He wasn't kidding? I see! This is why Gregory doesn't talk to anybody, or more accurately, nobody talks to him. I feel a connection with him now. I don't think I'm gay – I won't deny the possibility of being bi – but I was ostracised for my sexual deviations too, so, I know the feeling. So, instinctively, I feel a little more supportive of the cute gay guy, and I like this John guy less.

This sequence of events kept happening time and time again, and now it is the middle of November and I am sure that there is no possible way I can be real friends with any of the other guys or the girls, but I want to befriend Gregory.