Chapter 46

Chapter 46

Cleo POV

We were sprinting through the woods, Alec was carrying Wyhatt across his shoulder. Our mind link had passed which was fortunate as my head was spinning with questions. Why had there been so many Hunters? Why had they been stronger than the other ones I had met? And why did Alec recognise one of them? I relived his flash of recognition when he face the red haired Hunter. How could he know her? Was there something he wasn't telling me? As we ran towards Jackson and the rest of the pack I felt a small sliver of suspicion. Could Jackson have been right? Was it strange how much Alec knew about the Hunters?

"We have to run!" Alec shouted as he approached them. None of them questioned this. They all turned on their heels and started running of towards the van.

We sprinted out in between the houses and I could hear that Adrian had already started the van. I jumped in and stretched out my arms, taking some of the weight of Wyhatt as Alec worked on getting his lifeless body into the car. For a quick second our eyes met, Alec's eyes help worry and a darkness I had not sense before. Whatever had happened in the woods, now was not the time to talk to him about it.

"Drive!" Alec shouted as he slammed the door shut behind him. Adrian stepped on the gas pedal and we speed off. I craned my neck, looking back towards the woods but I couldn't see anyone following us. I felt Alec's hand close around mine. In the darkness and silence of the van, I felt calmness spread over me. We had gotten Wyhatt back that was the most important thing. We were all safe, for now.

~*~

I pushed the door open and the pack carried in Wyhatt. I felt my knees buckle and sunk down against the wall. Alec closed the door and before I could say anything Jackson where by my side.

"Are you okay?" concern filled his voice and his fingers lightly stroked against the wound on my cheek.

"Will he be okay?" Tim said, looking at Wyhatt who was laying on the couch, still unconscious.

"He'll be fine. He was affected by the smoke bomb, there was no way around it," Alec explained. He walked over and grabbed the healing paste and walked over to where I was sitting, Jackson still hovering around me.

"Excuse me," Alec said briskly and almost shooed Jackson away with his foot. Jackson growled but stepped back enough to give Alec room to examine my wound. Alec's eyes meet mine, steady and calm. His fingers touched my cheek and I felt a tingle from the paste.

"You'll be fine," he said softly, his eyes saying more than his lips could.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Jackson said hunched down next to me again, looking at me like I was fragile and would break. His concern right now felt slightly overbearing. I had just rescued his friend. I may feel a bit out of it right now, but as the healing paste started to work I felt better.

"I'm fine," I said and stood up.

"You should probably check on Wyhatt," I looked at Jackson.

Guilt flashed across his face before he turned and walked over the couch and gave Wyhatt a pat on the shoulder.

"Are you okay?" he said, looking down at Wyhatt.

Wyhatt was slowing coming back to consciousness, he turned over before slowly sitting up.

"Um...," he rubbed his forehead with his hand. "I think so," he said quietly.

"What happened?"

"We saved you," I said.