Chapter 17: The Falcon

Rein's POV
I pulled into the lit paveway of Mushu's large estate. The home itself was incredibly impressive... and I expected nothing less from him. He was always one for the limelight and party scene, but when it came down to business, he meant it.

It had taken forever for him to be respected in the black market, but it was hard not to when you saw how intricate his system was. The people he dealt with, and with such precision, always took me by surprise. How he was able to practically guarantee not only privacy, but accuracy and 100% satisfactory.

The car pulled right up to the curve, as a man approached us from the entrance to open my door. Before I could slide out, my drivers stopped me. "Be careful." He replied, looking me dead in the eye, before letting my arm go. I just nodded slightly. I hadn't recognized him in any way, but as soon as I entered the vehicle, I could smell 'government agency' off of him. I also spotted a military grade weapon from under the seat, along with his hand held on the inside of his coat pocket.

This man's only job was to make sure I got here unscathed.

The heels I wore made it a bit tricky to maneuver out of the vehicle, but once they hit leveled ground again, I was fine.

I had learned to walk in these retched things as part of my training for a mission we had to pull a few years back with my brother. I was rarely ever involved in missions, and when I was, my feminine side wasn't exploited. In fact, it was quite the opposite. I was always dressed to look like any other man. This particularly mission required me to act as an escort.

"Hello." I was greeted at the door by another man that stood behind a pillar. His suit was pressed crisp, yet stretched a tad by his enormous build.

"Hi." I replied, slipping my coat off and folding it across my arm.

"May I have your name?" The man asked.

"Y-Yes-" I replied. My heart began to pick up again. Was I supposed to say Rein? Is that what Mushu had me down as? Or could I use an alias? Was he checking for names? "It's..."

"It's..." the man reiterated, impatiently. "Hurry up, I don't have all day and a line is forming."

"It's-" I started, about to say Rein, but out of nowhere Mushu appeared besides him.

"No worries, Pete, she's with me." Mushu cut in.

The man glanced back between Mushu and I, before nodding finally and giving us a "fuck it" shrug. I couldn't help but smile at how odd we looked. With my heels on, I was literally towering over him as he led me through the main entrance of his home like I was his date.

The music was flowing perfectly while people mingles amongst each other  through the center of the room. A few eyes glanced our way, but Mushu lead me through to a side door before anyone could stop us.

My eyebrows quickly furrowed up in confusion as we entered a second equally large room. A few faces looked familiar enough for me to finally understand. "This is where the real mingling is happening." I more so stated, than asked. He nodded back at me.

"That room, and the people in that room, are fronts. They don't know a damn thing about my illegitimate business, or what's going on in this room." He explained. My eyes instantly gravitated to the incredible amounts of firearms that were laid out inside large glass encasings. I recognized a few styles, but guns were never my forte.

"Introduce yourself as Rene. Tell 'em what you're looking for, but don't say why. I doubt they'll even ask that, but they'll refer you to who you need." Mushu instructed, as he walked me towards the bar at the far end. "All you gotta do is sit here and look pretty. The guys'll come to you." I nodded understandingly while taking a seat.

He left shortly after, disappearing back through the crowd of mingling. I didn't keep my eyes on him for long before turning back to the bartender.

"Something I can get you, love?" He asked.

"Water would be fine." I replied. He nodded, before turning to busy himself.

It wasn't long before I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see a man in maybe his late 40's, had taken a seat besides me. I gave him a small smile and he returned it with a larger one.

"What brings a beautiful girl like yourself into these neck of the woods?" He asked. His voice was raspy.

"Just browsing." I replied, sliding a stray strand of hair behind my ear. His eyes followed the actions religiously.

"Anything particular?" He asked. It took everything in me not to gag as I got a whiff of his breath. He smelled vile.

"Not guns." I replied. "Something more... lethal. You wouldn't happen to know where a gal like me could find that, would you?" I placed my small hand on his knee. His body stiffened immediately.

"Lethal, you say?" He asked. He didn't move to remove my hand.

"Something more impacting. I don't want to get my hands dirty." I replied. I gave his knee a squeeze and his breathing hitched.

"I think I know a guy." He replied heavily. I could practically see the lust crowd over his eyes. Took everything in me not to gag. "I'm not sure on his actual name... but around here, they call him The Falcon."

I could feel my heart practical stop as my eyes grew large. I retracted my hand quickly, as if it was scorched by his knee. "W-What did you say?" I asked quietly.

"The Falcon." He replied. His eyebrows furrowed. "You've heard of him?"

Before I could reply, I felt another tap on my shoulder. I turned around to find Mushu leaning into me, his eyes riddled with concern. He whispered into my ear, "We have a problem."

"What is it?" I asked.

"One of your agents is here." He replied.

-----------------------------