Four

That same night I crept out met with Dr Erskine close to where Steve's cabin was. Dr Erskine had two glasses and a bottle of wine with him. I looked at him weirdly and he just kept walking. Steve had to share a cabin with the other soldiers but they all go off together and little leave Steve to do his own stuff. I feel really sorry for him because he's always left out of stuff because he's small. Size shouldn't determine your status. Actually nothing should. 

Once we were outside his cabin we made our way inside where Steve was reading a book on his bed. Dr Erskine lightly knocked o the slightly opened door before stepping in with me behind.

"May we?" Dr Erksine asked and Steve closed his book smiling at me.

"Yeah." he said. Me and Dr Erksine walked in and sat on the bed in front of Steve.

"Can't sleep?" Dr Erskine asked as he placed a glass of water on a trunk on the end of his bed. I smiled.

"Got the jitters, I guess" Steve answered making me move to sit next to him on the bed.

"Us too" I said and Steve smiled weakly at me.

"Can I ask you a question?" Steve asked Dr Erksine.

"Just one?"

"Why me?" Steve asked. I frowned at his question as there were a lot of reasons why him.

"I suppose that's the only question that matters" Dr Erskine said looking at his bottle of wine. "This is from Augsburg. My City" Oh I know that place. It's in Germany. And I've been thinking he's from Russia. I need to stop getting those mixed up. Stupid Ashley.

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own" Dr Erskine continued. "You know, after the last war, my people struggled." Me and Steve were listening carefully to Erskine. "They felt weak. they felt small" In my head I said 'just like Steve'. Mean but kinda true. "And then Hitler comes along with the marching and the big show and the flags. And he hears me. My work. And he finds me. And he says 'you'" He pointed to Steve as he said 'you'. "He said 'you, will make us strong'. Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of Hydra, his research division. A brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Heard of him?" he asked towards me and I shook my head.

"Schmidt is a member of the inner circle. And he is ambitious. He and Hitler share a passion for occult power and Teutonic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt, it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is great power hidden in the earth, left here by the gods, waiting to be seized by a superior man. So when he hears about my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt must become that superior man."

"Did it make him stronger?" Steve asked as he hand was now holding mine. His hands were small but soft. It felt nice holding his hand. What am I saying?

"Yes. But there were other effects"

"What other effects?" I asked worried for Steve.

"The serum was not ready. But the more important, the man. The serum amplifies everything that is inside, so good becomes great. Bad becomes worse" Erskine explained.

"Let me guess, he became worse" I said and Erskine nodded.

"This is why you were chosen, Steve. Because a strong man who has known power all his life may lose repect for that power, but a weak man knows the value of strength." I squeezed Steve's hand letting him know he was on about him. "And knows compassion"

"Thanks. I think" Steve smiled to Erskine and he told Steve to grab the glass. He did and Erskine poured him a glass.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man." Erskine poited to Steve's heart making me smile. I already knew that Stevw would stay a good man, a very good man, no matter what happened.

"To the little guys" Steve raised his glass and Erskine clinked his glass with Steve's. But before Steve could take a sip, Erskine stopped him.

"What am I doing? No, you have a procedure tomorrow. No fluids" Erskine tipped Steve's drink into his glass.

"All right. We'll drink after"

"No, I don't have a procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? I drink it now" Erskine said making me laugh. "And I'm sure Ms Gomez would like to acompany you tomorrow." Erksine smiled and Steve looked at me. I smiled and nodded.

"He's gunna be okay, right?" I asked and Steve squeezed my hand.

"He'll be fine" Erkine reassured making me smile.

Me and Erkine then got up to leave making me kiss Steve on the cheek before leaving. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day.

------------------------------

A.N. Sorry if it's short and there's not a lot of Ashley in it but I thought it would be better to split this scene from the scene where Steve get's injected. I dunno it just felt better.

-Emma x