Conflict 19: Back

The first thing that came into mind when you woke up back in your bedroom in the Vargas mansion was that you had the sudden craving for French fries, the second was that you seemed to have the uncanny talent for losing consciousness and waking up to a new place.

"F..." you sat up, the soft silk of your negligee brushing your clean and washed thighs. You tried not to think much about who bathed and changed you while you were drugged and asleep.

"You know the rules, no cursing now"

"Oliver?" But it wasn't Oliver when you turned your head to look up.

"No, guess again" Flavio said with a teasing smile, obviously in an extremely cheery mood. He had another new scarf worn with his newest suit, dark shades on his head.

"Breakfast is ready. We made your favorite" He said it in a way as though he expected me to start breakdancing in joy. But you were in no mood for anything, not food or even standing up.

You sneezed, hand flying over your mouth. Much to your horror, you looked down to find fresh, hot blood dripping down your fingers.

"What the Hell did those idiots give you?" Flavio pulled out a couple of tissues from an opened box by the bedside table and grabbed your chin, dabbing the paper towels on your nose and the spot beneath it, just above your lip.

"When they came back last night, I thought you were dead when Lutz carried you up here"

"Mhm..." You pretended to listen, but really your mind and heart were someplace else.

You were sure you were going crazy, either that or you were in a coma stuck in a nightmare you'd never wake up from until the sweet release of death.

What little strength and speed you had in gym or lack of math skills you made up for in science and history, but history most especially. To this day, you could name all fifty states of America alphabetically from the top of your head and state what the acronym Gulag stands for (Glavnoye Upravleniye Ispravitelno-Trudovyk Lagerey i Koloniy) without blinking, compared to that, knowing how the Second World War ended was, well, easier. As the drug left your veins, your mind begun to show you what you really saw. Even if the images were fading and unclear, a photograph exposed before properly developed, you knew that London shouldn't have looked the way it did.

"Come on, the others are waiting for us" Flavio dragged you off the bed, not bothering to tell you to change out of the nightgown.

When you reached the dining table, Luciano was twirling his fork around, Kuro was silently reading a small book of poetry and Lutz was tapping the table with his pointer finger. They raised their heads when you took your seat.

"How was your nap?" Kuro asked quietly, sliding the bookmark between the pages before giving it to a maid.

You hummed, throat dry, but mouth watering at the sight of food. Your stomach was hungry and queasy at the same time, but you inhaled everything on your plate within seconds. Before the plate was completely bare of solids, you already had a glass of lemon water in your right hand and a fresh red apple in the left.

Everyone but Kuro—who was calmly sipping green tea—was staring.

"Didn't they feed you back at Oliver's?" Luciano asked, eyeing the loaf of bread you were currently putting strawberry jam on.

"I've never been this hungry" You replied before taking a devastating bite on the bread, not really answering his question, rather pointing out the oddity of your hunger "I feel like I was asleep for weeks and now I'm awake and hungry"

You swallowed the salad Flavio offered without so much as a "Please and thank you".

It really was strange. You weren't a big eater, you could barely stomach more than two slices of whole-wheat bread or a cup of rice. Due to problems in the past, you often drank water, more than just lousy eight glasses—over two liters per day—to help curb your appetite. It worked. You drank before, during, and after meals. H20 filled your stomach, which you always pictured as a size of a fist, leaving very little room for anything solid. Although you could go past your limits, you never thought you could go this far.

You released the banana peel and put a hand on your stomach. It was hard and heavy and it hurt to move.

"You ate too much" Lutz pointed out and Flavio hissed at him, telling him he should never say those things to a lady. But Lutz was always blunt and with the way he said it, you didn't feel offended. His tone was of concern.

"Are you okay?" Luciano asked.

You nodded, but it was hard to take you seriously when you were bent over holding your mouth like a mother waking up to morning sickness.

Flavio stood up and then smiled at you "I finally got Luciano to let me decorate the garden, want to see it?"

"Um..." It wasn't that you were saying no, it's that the rest of you was.

"Great, then let's go! But first, you can go and wash yourself. I had Maria prepare you a bath"

"Uh, thanks" You tried not to throw up. You really did eat too much.

"Here" He grabbed your hand and you got up.

You trembled and fell, pulling Flavio and your chair down with you, but Flavio had good reflexes and balanced himself just in time into a kneeling position before he could elbow your face.

The three shot up from their seats.

"What happened?" Kuro was the first to move, running over to you and Flavio.

"My legs" You were shaking "I-I can't feel my legs, I can't feel my legs, I can't feel my legs!"

"Calm down, calm down, bella" Luciano knelt down before ordering Lutz to call the family doctor.

"Dio mio! The doctor said the drugs have already worn off" Flavio clasped his hands together.

"Let's take her to her room"

"Forget that, the servants' chamber is closer"

You were half-dead, or maybe just half-dying by the time the doctor came. You were kind of glad to find out she was a she, at least, you thought, you weren't being poked and prodded by a male. Your roommates were more than enough.

"Side effects" The doctor with her blonde mop of hair and big blue eyes and thick English accent that was not too far from all those posh Brits on TV made you think of a twin set of her, young ones. But you couldn't think of their names.

"Are you sure?"

"The drug has racked all of England after the war, I'm glad my mother and I were in America when the bloody country started making it mandatory" The doctor sighed, she sounded tired "Don't worry, give her a few days. From the blood tests I could tell that she only had one pill but the drug is powerful, enough to make the consumer feel withdrawal once it starts to leave the body. Just make sure she eats enough and don't forget to make her drink water"

You snorted softly, but no one noticed.

With much effort, you turned your head to the terrace. You were sober and smart enough to know that it was barely nine in the morning, but you couldn't help but wonder if it was another side effect of the drug to hallucinate because from where you lay, the sky was pitch-black.