Eternal || Chapter Six

The Tuesday after Scott's first transformation was when everything was really set in motion for the McCall siblings and Stiles.  Katarina sat at her desk, trying to solve a ridiculously confusing trigonometry problem when the front door of the home was thrown open and slammed shut, quickly followed by pounding footsteps on the stairs.  All homework was forgotten as she stood up and practically flew out of her room to meet Stiles in her brother's doorway.

          "What did you find?  How did you find it?  Where did you find it?  And, yes, I've had a lot of adderall, so . . . " Stiles panted, stopping right in front of Scott's bed and causing a nearly running Kat to slam into his back.

          "I found something at Derek Hale's." Scott cryptically said.  Kat pushed around Stiles' tall and lanky frame to stand beside him as she confronted her brother at the same time Stiles praised him.

          "And why didn't you tell me this earlier?"

          "Are you kidding?  What?"

          Scott ignored Kat's words and answered Stiles. "There's something buried there -- I could smell blood."

          "That's awesome!" Stiles cheered, but quickly recovered when Kat smacked his arm. "I mean, that's terrible.  Who's blood?"

          Scott stood up to face his two best friends, "I don't know.  But when we do, your dad nails Derek for the murder and then you two help me figure out how to play lacrosse without changing.  Because there's no way I'm not playing that game." he finished tying his lacrosse stick and tossed it on his bed before walking out of his bedroom and stalking down the stairs.

          "You're kidding me, right?" Katarina scoffed as she pulled her jacket around her tighter.  Her hand shook slightly as she held the flashlight over the hole Scott and Stiles were digging. "And what are you going to tell your dad when he asks how you found the other half of the body?  'Oh, hey Dad.  I knew that Derek Hale is the killer so we kind of hung around his burnt and crumbling childhood home until he left and dug up the top half of some dead girl he killed.'  Great plan, Stiles."

          "Do you have to work at being this infuriating or does it just come naturally?" Stiles grumbled.  His hands tightened on the shovel as he attempted to tune out the girl.

          "I haven't even tried to infuriate you yet.  Should I start?"

          "Will you two shut up?" Scott interrupted, turning around to glare at his sister.

          "Oh, I'm so sorry Scotty.  I'm still getting used to running on thirty minutes of sleep a night because I've been coping with a regular schedule and the fact that my brother is a freaking werewolf." Kat shot, rubbing her tired eyes and sitting down on the ground before tying her hair up into a sloppy bun.  When Scott sent her a glare, she huffed, "I'm sorry.  This is just almost too much to handle."

          "I get it.  But I'll figure out a way for this to be over once we pin Derek for this murder."

          The three went silent, the only sounds in the woods being the chirping of crickets and the panting of Scott and Stiles as they dug.  Kat's mind started wandering.  Her eyes, from the full moon.  It wasn't the first time she had seen them do that.  Once or twice in old photos, but not enough to make her think anything of it.  What could she be?

          Scott groaned, "This is taking way too long."

          "Oh, just keep going," Stiles pushed, continuing to dig.

          "What if he comes back?"

          "Then we get the hell out of here."

          "But what if he catches us?"