54. Chills

"My heart's racing trying to catch up to you, the light that you let off is gold. I can't shake this feeling, it fills the room."

Song: Chills

Artist: Down With Webster

Harry's POV

At some point during our game, Jay had ventured to my fridge to grab a beer for each of us. That single beer had turned into several more until a collection too big to count without some effort had gathered in front of us. Our video game had grown sloppier the more we drank, but I didn't really care. His sudden outbursts because of the game grew louder and more frequent, his skills quickly declining. I chuckled as he cursed loudly, his hand clenched tightly in the air as it rose seemingly against his will.

It was getting difficult to stay focused on the screen as it swam in front of me, and I found myself caring less and less about the video game. My reactions were slowed thanks to the numerous beers I'd downed, and I could feel myself swaying slightly as I leaned forward on my knees, my hands clutching the controller. I didn't bother to pause the game as I reached to take another sip of my beer. I took the opportunity to check my phone for any notice from Halle, but there was none.

It'd been well over an hour since she'd said she'd be here soon, and I was starting to get anxious. I couldn't decide if the alcohol was helping or adding to my stress, and I tried not to get paranoid about something happening to her. She was just at home- nothing bad was going to happen to her. I frowned at my phone again, wishing she would have let me know that she was going to be longer than she originally said.

The more time went on, the more I became less worried about the game and the more I worried about where she was. I had pretty much stopped playing all together as I drank more of my beer and stared at my phone. My thumbs twitched over the screen while I tried to stop myself from sending her a pathetically needy text message. The screen blurred in front of my eyes as my leg bounced anxiously, the shaky motion and the alcohol I'd consumed making it impossible to decipher anything on the phone. It had been nearly two hours now and she still wasn't here.

Screw it, I'm texting her.

Harry: where are you?

"Dude, get off your phone for two seconds," Jay grumbled before he let out a hearty belch.

"Shut up," I muttered, ignoring him as I waited impatiently for her response. I just wanted her to get here already because being away from her was giving me anxiety. It occurred to me that this was somewhat pathetic, but I couldn't find it in me to care.

Halle: coming, sorry, Maggie came home and wouldn't stop talking gah

Harry: hurryyyyy

I sighed heavily, relieved she was okay and would be here soon. I clicked my phone and set it back down beside me once more. My eyes focused on the multiple empty cans in front of me and I was surprised by how many there were. I hadn't even realized how much we'd drunk because I'd been too focused on the game and worrying about where Halle was.

"Halle's coming over," I told Jay as I resumed my basically ignored game.

"What?" he whined, his eyes squinting on the screen in front of us as his thumbs worked furiously on the controller.

"What do you mean, what?" I shot back.

"Nothing, just thought we were having guy time," he grumbled. I rolled my eyes at his childish remark.

"Now who's being pathetic?" I teased, my mood lightening significantly now that I knew she was safe.

"Oh fuck off," he joked back, grinning once again.