Chapter 38

ZAKRIYA ISLAM

"Can you please fax these documents to the courier service. They need to know the exact time the shipments arrive from Egypt." I said and handed my secretary the documents.

"Of course sir." He said and left. I sighed and relaxed in my chair. I glanced at my wrist watch. I needed to pick up the kids in half an hour.

"Hey," I heard a knock and looked up to see my boss standing at the door. "Asalam alaikum sir," I greeted and jumped to my feet.

He nodded and shook my hand. "How have you been Zac?" He inquired.

"I've been good sir. What about you?" I inquired. It have been a few weeks since the last time I met with Shehzad. Even though we were good friends but that was outside of work. At work we maintained a good work relationship.

"Actually I wanted to inform you that you will be accompanying me to New York this year. I wanted my best financier to take part in the in annual conference this year." He informed.

"I'm honoured sir." I said and smiled. This really was good news.

"Good, then we need to leave within three weeks." He told and I nodded in acknowledgement.

"So, how are the wife and kids?" He said and I saw his strict professional expression fade away.

"They are good alhamdulillah. What about yours? How is the missus. I heard that she was sick."

He sighed. "Yes, she was feeling poorly so I had to had her admitted to the hospital. Apparently she had been over exerting herself that's why she had collapsed during work. She's alright now alhamdulillah. I had her take leave from work." He said. I nodded in understanding. Khadijah's health wasn't fainting well these days and I could easily see the affects it was having on Shehzad.

"I was about to leave to get the kids from the academy. Do you want me to pick up Hira and Haroon as well?" I asked.

He gave me a small smile. "Thanks but they didn't go today. They wanted to spend some time with their mother. I was also going to leave. Well I'll see you soon." He said and left.

I collected my things and wrapped up work and went straight to pick up my kids. As I approached the academy, I never fail to feel amazed and awestruck at Amber. She did an awesome job of making this academy into the prestigious institution that it is today. My heart swells with pride. The building of the academy were expanded over the years and soon, with enough funding, a university was also underway.

I got out of the car and went to the gate. The old guard recognised me and immediately opened the gate for me. I found my two little munchkins playing on the swings along with the other students.

"Daddy!" They both exclaimed and got their bags and ran to me.
I crouched down on my toes and opened my arms for them. Zeeshan ran quickly while Ayesha stalled because of her heavy bag.

"Hey there little man," I drawled and kissed his chubby cheek.

"Hey honey," I said and grabbed Ayesha's bag from her. "Daddy this bag is so heavy." She complained. I grinned at her and caught her hand.

"Well, books can be heavy."

"But why do we need so many books in the first place daddy?" She inquired.

"Because knowledge is very immense. That's why." I explained as simply as I could. Apparently Amber was better at answering my daughter's questions because she was just too inquisitive.

"Daddy can we please have ice cream?" Zeeshan asked.

"No son, we need to get home otherwise your mother will be upset." I said.