Epilogue

Epilogue

I pulled on the soft grey pants, relishing in my new sense of clean. My whet hair hung over one of my shoulders, still smelling strongly of shampoo. Stepping from the bathroom into the hall, I smiled at the feeling of the blue carpet between my toes. Although I wasn't quite home, yet, I was to carefree to worry about showing my feet.

From the end of the hallway, I could hear the sound of voices. The door hung open a crack, inviting me closer. The room we had been given was very much like the living rooms I was used to. That, I was grateful for. Although it had a few to many moving parts to put me completely at ease. Inside the room, Dustin gestured for me to join him. He sat on the floor, facing the couch which seated the others. Skye smiled as I approached. Her hair was whet as well, for she'd just come from her own shower.

Beside her, sat Romeo. I'd been as surprised to see him as any. But, although he needed help, he had been deemed sane enough for this reunion. He hadn't yet said much, but he nodded at me as I took my spot.

On his other side, Drew kept casting looks in his direction. It appeared that he couldn't stop feeling responsible for the younger WUIA agent. On the arms of the couch, sat Krystal and Miya. Krystal on Drew's side and Miya on Skye's.

The conversation was nothing but positive. It seemed, that everyone was as glad as me for the shower and change of clothes. From the three of us who had never lived outside the city, there were also questions of what to expect. It turned out, Krystal was as curious as Dustin and I. Even Miya seemed excited to see modern day life, outside of a war zone.

“Hey you guys!” Chaz's voice came from the door.

In surprise, I turned around.

“Do I have a surprise for you!” He was practically radiant.

I'd been in such a good mood, that when he pushed the door the rest of the way open, I hadn't been expecting to get any happier, but when I saw my family I almost broke down and began to sob with happiness. They were okay! They were all okay! My two sisters were the first to reach me, and I was pulled into a double hug. Erin with her glittering gold hair, and Rosa with her fiery red. How I'd missed them!

“Nancy!” My mom was tearful, as she pulled me into a hug of her own.

After one from my father and countless more from my sisters, all I could do was just stand there and stare at them. It all seemed to good to be true, and a tear had began to trickled down my face.

“What is it?” Rosa asked, concerned.

“Nothing!” I was laughing and crying at the same time. “It's just... I never thought I'd see you again.”

Then we were all crying and hugging, and I felt a part of me, that I hadn't realized was missing, return. When I finally pulled my focus away from my family for long enough to survey they room, I realized I wasn't the only one who had received a pleasant surprise.

Dustin was crying too. The tears running down his face, as he hugged his father. The two had always been so close, after his mother's death. Even Aria and Krystal's parents were here. Seeing the concern on their faces almost pushed away the happiness I felt, but one look at my sisters fixed that. Aria was still alive. Lost for now, but alive.

Even those who had no visitors looked radiant. They'd moved over, making room for Miya on the couch. Right in front of my eyes, I saw Romeo and Skye exchange a happy look. Not just a superficial happy. True happiness! If those two could find it, I knew that I was set. Right then and there, I made a vow to try to see the positivity in every situation.

If Romeo, a boy who had no family and who's body was riddled with scars, old and new, could find happiness, who was I to say the world was a bad place? None of us were alone, not even those who had lost someone close to them. We all had each other. No matter what happened from there on, we had each other and that's all that mattered.

“You've been through a lot,” my mother said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Wiping away the last of the tears, I turned to face her.

“We all have!” Then, turning to the rest of the room, I continued, “we've all been through a lot, but it doesn't matter. We have each other and I, for one, am grateful for that.”

For a second, the room fell silent. Then, everyone was cheering. Even Romeo. Even Skye. Suddenly, we were all hugging, and laughing, and appreciating that moments like this were not to be taken for granted.