Six

"Why did you take me?"

My captor remained quiet, his head still laying on the floor. He looked as though in the church praying to the gods, on his knees. But I had a feeling this was his way to avoid looking at me as he answered my question.

"'Tis complicated," he rasped low.

"Well, uncomplicate it then," I muttered with impatience.

He slowly rose from his position, facing me with an unreadable expression on his scarred face. His blazing eyes seemed to slowly trail down from my face to my chest then my knees that were exposed from my undergarments. I no longer cared how I was dressed. The feeling of embarrassment was gone.

He rubbed a hand against his face. "Where do I begin?" He wondered softly, looking around the destroyed room, as if to himself.

Irritation flashed through me at his question. I rolled my eyes.

And yet, his words reminded me of my story times with Pappa when I was young. Sadness yet a bit of amusement filled me as I recalled Pappa telling me all different stories before bed. 'Twas one the things I looked forward to as a child of a few summers. Even though he was the Jarl of our clan, he always made sure to come tell me a story before I fell asleep. He always teased me with a similar question, making me giggle at his silliness.

But he was not my Pappa.

"Where else? The beginning." I retorted, crossing my arms across my chest. As Ran would say, this man was dumber than a bag of hammers.

His dark eyes flashed with annoyance but then relaxed. My captor cleared his throat, pausing for a few breaths before shaking his head. I was nearing was shaking with anticipation.

I needed to know.

"Nei, I cannot tell you now. We must get ready for the feast tonight. Please," He said as he stood, "Join me in the feast tonight. The servants shall bring a hot bath and fresh clothing for you soon."

I wanted to scream and pull my hair from the roots.

This man...Ergh.

Disappointment and anger flushed through me, making my skin hot with displeasure. Why could he not tell me now? I growled in frustration at this infuriating man.

"Nei, you cannot do that to me! At least give me this," I was at the lowest point of my existence, nearing killing myself and pleading to my captor. I was desperate.

"I shall tell you soon. I promise," My captor said.

He paused, unaware at my growing rage, looking around his destroyed chambers with a grimace. "And I shall send someone to clean this up."

And with that, he quietly left the room, without letting me demand an answer, leaving me to ponder what he was going to say. Why Odin, why was I physically attracted to this man, yet in my heart and mind he was a vile monster that I reject? Sometimes I felt as though I was talking to the wall, not a Jarl. I wondered how big my chances were of escaping without any notice to others within the manor.

I could not stay here waiting and pleading to the Jarl to find the reason behind my kidnapping, waiting on him hand and foot. He would keep me here, telling me promises, never actually explaining me the reason as to why I was taken. I would forever remain in his grasp.

I would rather leave, perchance never knowing why I survived the raid, than stay here.

I moved towards the window, peering out into the woodland that seemed to taunt me with its closeness.

A small wooden trinket lay perched upon the sill, and I grasped the figure. It was intricate, dainty, and very liable to break. 'Twas a child's toy. I wondered if it was the Jarl's when he was but a young child. This small toy almost gave him an innocence that he did not exclude to others.