Chapter 4

Emily POV

"No, Mom." Aric storms into the kitchen with Sophia hot on his trail. His stride is wider than normal and that could mean one of two things.

He's either upset or pissed.

I'd place my bets on both.

"I am calling Kenneth after she calms down to find out what's going on. Then and only then will I bring her over to see you and Dad. Not everyone in the whole damned place."

CeCe gets up, reaches around Aric and throws her trash out, "where's Alison?"

"In the bathroom with the funeral director." Sophia has a giddy hop to her step that makes me smile. The past week has been more than rough on her. The cancer is getting worse by the day and it was so bad that she wasn't sure she could last the whole party.

But somehow, that Alison is here, there's color in her cheeks and I can see the happiness glistening behind her blue eyes.

"You know Jess will make her leave. Jess thought I was dead. This was a pity offering. Let's take her up on it! Get Alison a drink, a second to collect herself and then bring her outside to meet her family."

Sophia motions to the three of us says, "don't you guys want to meet Alison?"

The girl's my type of gorgeous, no doubt about it.

Sexy, beautiful golden hair and eyes that can pull me in, making me feel like I am in the clearest of oceans.

Now I gotta admit, her curves turned me on and that dress she wore sealed the deal. It clung to her in all the right ways, but the part that made me almost fall to my knees was the way she wore it.

Mysterious.

Classy.

I have never seen anyone from Alison's world walk up to the Havoc Riders as if they didn't have one single fear.

But, Alison is bad news.

For as long as I could remember she has been a thorn in this family's side and has continually made the people I love to death bleed. More specifically, Sophia.

Sophia has yearned to meet her granddaughter. I could never understand why, considering she is a traitor, just like Jess is a traitor.

"No," CeCe, as always speaks the truth. "I don't want to meet her."

Sophia scowls and points at CeCe, "for that answer Charlotte, you're tilling my garden and spreading comports to get ready for tomato planting."

"Hell," CeCe mutters at one, hearing her real name instead of her road name and two, having to garden.

"Evening Sophia," Toby says shyly, "I'm really enjoying your wake."

Sophia snaps her head to him and puts a finger to her lip. Twenty bucks says she had no idea Toby was even there because if she did know, she would not have spoken so openly.

She cups Toby's cheeks with such grace as she brushes his long hair behind his ears, studying his face, "there's something different about you, boy. What is it?"

He peeks behind Sophia at Aric who gives a grin as he crosses his arms as if he's a proud papa.

"Contacts ma'am."

She gasps and smiles, "well, I love them. And don't ma'am me. You know better than that by now. Why don't you go find Leo for me? I need to speak with my husband after I am finished grilling Aric's sorry ass. And Toby, remember. What's said in my house, stays in my house."

I snort when she talks about Aric and it causes Sophia to flick my forehead, making Aric laugh at me now, genuinely, too.

Toby beelines out of the house as if his hair is on fire and Sophia turns on her heels and sends daggers at Aric's head.

She has always talked openly in front of CeCe and I because she considers us her flesh and blood, too.

"She's my granddaughter, Aric. I want the chance to meet her. Talk with her. Get to know her. Jess would never allow that if she knows I'm alive."

Aric rakes a hand through his hair, "like I said, Mom, once she has regained herself I'll bring her to the house. I don't like the idea of her being here." His voice dropped, "it's too wide-open. Too many eyes."

"A few minutes here won't hurt," pleads Sophia. "A half hour, tops. If you leave here and tell her adoptive father then he'll instantly tell Jess and I'll lose my chance." Her eyes are wide and desperate.

Why does she want to meet her anyways?

"You are telling me what you want and I am telling you what I can give you." Aric rummages through a cooler, searching for Sprites and stands up empty handed.

"Damn leeches drank everything dry!"

Aric rips through his jeans in search of a wallet and hangs his head back, his face turning a dark crimson, "CeCe."

My best friend/idiot tosses Aric's wallet back and Aric grunts.

"Do that again and I'll nail you to the wall by your balls, got it?" threatens Aric.

"It's a bad habit. Besides, I always give it back."

I never understood how she could pick pockets so well.

Aric pulls out a bill and thrusts it at me, "Em, there's a vending machine across the street. Go get Alison a Sprite. After you do that help Leo keep this place under control. If they aren't associated with the Havoc Riders, throw their asses out. With Alison here and the shit going down with the Drakes I want this place on fucking lockdown."

"DAMMIT ARIC!"

We all snap our heads to Sophia who slams her fist down on a table, grunting in utter frustration as she stares at her son, the plead etched all over her face.

"She's my granddaughter. My granddaughter."

Sophia thumps her fist against where her heart is on her chest every time she says granddaughter.

Both CeCe and I shoot to her feet but it's Aric who helps steady her before she sways too far.

My heart thumps in my chest as my blood surges and heats up in anxiety. Sophia's dying and there's nothing we can do about it. And she is over stressing right now, making her only worse.

Aric hugs her close to his body and nods, "we'll go in after we get you something to eat, okay?"

I catch Sophia's eyes and I know she can see the worry that is most likely coating my entire body. She reaches her hand out to me and I meet her touch.

She squeezes my hand reassuringly and I nod, clearing my throat, "I'll go get her the Sprite."

I leave the building and shake my head.

It's Alison's fault that Sophia is this upset.

God I wish that Alison stayed back at her stupid home, still being the illegitimate daughter that disappeared and never returned.

She is killing Sophia.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You enjoying this story?

What are your thoughts on Sophia?

Aric?

Review and comment!

~stay fearless~

Caleigh <13