2

The last hour of John's shift bore down on him faster than he would have liked. He still hadn't thought of anything that he could possibly say to break the ice with his son let alone fix the situation. When the phone on his desk rang, he almost lept from his chair at the chance to break the self-made tension.

"Indiana state library," John said with his best helpful voice.

"Hey John, it's Chris," John began to rub his brow at the sound of Chris' voice. "I kind of need a favor."

John knew that this wasn't a good sign, over the last several months that Chris had been interning at the library, he had shown up late at least three times a week, and each time he would ask John for a favor. While John would have loved nothing more than to let Chris fend for himself, he knew that he had been late that morning and Chris didn't say a word. "Sure, what's up?" John sighed.

"My truck broke down, I'll catch out there as soon as I can. Can you cover me for a bit?"

"Sure, I was a bit late today, I'll close up shop. Just give me a call when you get here," John responded, knowing a few extra hours wouldn't be too much of a problem.

"Thanks, John! I owe you one," Chris sighed.

"No problem, good luck with the truck," John hung up the phone and shook his head. He doubted he would ever need a favor from Chris. Looking around the library, he wondered if there were any people still wondering the aisles or working at one of the upstairs computers. He opened the drawer at his desk and grabbed the master keys, figuring the best thing to do was to make his rounds to lock the doors and let people know that the library would be closing.

By the time he was satisfied that the library was empty, the sun had long set and all the windows looked as if they were painted black. John cut the main lights' leaving only a few forgotten desk lamps to illuminate the darkened rows of books. One by one John, turned off the lights and slowly the shadows overcame him. He had never been comfortable in the dark, and the unusual silence of the darkened library didn't do him any favors.

As he returned to his desk, the sound of a book shifting on the shelf to his left caused the hair on the back of his neck to stand on end. It was nothing more than a whisper in the dark, but it was enough to fill his heart with dread. Staring into the black alley created by the two shelves, John waited, as if hoping the sound would come again. Those few moments of silence, were all John's imagination needed to run wild. Everything inside of him cried out to run, before some horrible creature leaped from the shadows and gutted him like a fish, or drag him screaming into the darkness. So many possibilities, but still John waited.

Several seconds passed and as John was about to give up on his suspicions, new sounds rang out from the shadows. Loud sickening cracks mixed with the sound of leather stretching filled John's ears. One after the other a crack and a long stretch, until the source grew and towered above him.

John turned and ran, eyes fixated on the last lamps soft glow in the dark. Ignoring the searing pain from his feet, he fought for the light which seemed like a lifetime away. He silently hoped that it was his imagination, that he would reach his desk and feel foolish.

"Foooooound you," something sang from the darkness behind him.

John scrambled to the desk and ripped open the drawers looking for something, anything that could shine a brighter light than the faded glow of his desk lamp. A warm breeze kissed his cheek and before John could even turn a searing pain erupted from his back. He felt the ground beneath him fall away as he soared through the darkness. His body clipped several of the massive bookshelves before finally slamming hard onto the library floor. John groaned in pain.