Scribble Tom/Reader | Everything happens for a Reason

wow! I didn't realize I got 100 followers so quick! Here's a little something while I work on the Tomatoredd book as a thank you.
Also, I felt a bit uncomfortable pairing the reader up with - what I headcannon as - a child so it'll be like a parental relationship. More platonic than real love.
tw: kidnapping and wounds

art by cartooncommubackup
~

Usually, when you were walking down to pick up something from your favorite shop in town, you wouldn't expect a child like figure weeping and running as fast as they can to see you. You had no idea how to deal with kids. While they got closer to you, you could see some scrapes on their hands and knees which were clear indicators that they wanted to get away from wherever they were fast. You kneel down carefully and open your arms for the child and from the force they had, they nearly knocked you over.

You figured this child was a boy because of his structure and the less squeaky and high pitched whine they made while crying. Petting his head and picking him up, you mumble, "Hey buddy.. It's alright, I got'cha."

He pulled away and looked at you, his eyes as dark and whole as the void itself, yet there was a spark somewhere in there. He hugged you tighter and managed to speak clearly while snuggling in your arms, "Thank you (miss/mister)."

You thought as you were carrying the child home that you can always pick up what you needed later but you can't put off helping a crying boy get comfortable again. Bouncing him in your arms on the way home while humming a silly song earned you a smile and a soft giggle before you managed to walk in the door and settle with him on the couch. You placed him beside you as you sat but he scrambled into your lap for comfort. You sigh and look down at him.

"Hey, don't you want your hands and knees covered up, hun?"

He thought before scrambling off of your lap and letting you walk him to the bathroom and setting him to sit on the closed toilet as a chair. You managed to find some scrap gauzes and cotton balls with some hydrogen peroxide, jackpot. Shuffling your knees over to him a bit awkwardly, you carefully took his hand and mumble, "This may hurt a bit, it'll help you in the end though."

The poor boy winced and turned his head away from you as you poured the peroxide on his hand, but you quickly bandaged it to the best of your ability. You take his other hand and repeated the same process to his knees as well but his reaction died down as he gotten used to the peroxide.

You smile down at him and ruffle his hair, "You're a tough cookie, kid."

This made him giggle and take your hand, leading you to your couch again. You sat and patted the spot next to you for him but he scrambled into your lap. He looked up at you, tilting his head all the way back since he was so small, and smiled wide up at you.

That was.. adorable. An unknown warmth filled your stomach and spread to your heart while examining his smile. You smiled back down and him and pulled him close as you turned on the television and handed him the remote to see what he wanted to watch. Oddly enough, it was the science channel.

"Hey kid, you like science more than cartoons?" You ask while petting his head.

He nods, his innocent black eyes glued to the TV screen as the machines spun and purred, creating something from scratch.

You chuckle from his devotion to the screen, "Me, too."

~

It was starting to get dark but his eye were still glued to the screen. This worried you as you stretch and yawn, nearly moving him off of your lap, this kid has to sleep now, he's probably only five or something. He's probably someone else's as well.