Chapter 3

The next day, I walked into the GCPD, feeling better than I had yesterday. I had actually gotten a decent nights sleep which already put me in a better mood. That and he was being peacefully quiet.

As I approached my office door, I stopped, hearing a noise coming from Lauren's office. It sounded like she was crying. I frowned, unlocking my office and taking off my coat. Had one of the idiots working here said something to upset her?

  I walked back out into the hallway and to Lauren's door, knocking lightly. There was a pause before her voice sounded through the door.

  "Come in," she said, forcing a cheery tone.

  I opened the door and stepped into her office, seeing Lauren sitting at her desk. Her eyes were red from crying.

  "Miss Hatfield, good morning," I said with a smile, shutting the door behind me. "How are you doing today?"

  "Hello, Mr. Nygma," she replied with a forced smile, but her eyes did hold some genuine happiness. "I'm doing fine today."

  "Are you sure? I thought I heard you crying," I pressed, though I tried to be gentle.

Lauren's eyes widened a little and she tucked a strand of bright red hair behind her ear, almost subconsciously.

"Y-you did?" She stammered quietly.

I nodded, stepping closer to her desk, but trying to give her her space at the same time. Lauren simply sighed, running her hands through her already wild curls.

"It's just my boyfriend, Mr. Nygma. I wouldn't want to trouble you with--"

"No, no, I don't mind," I said quickly. "If you need someone to talk to, I'm all ears."

  Lauren smiled gratefully at me and I returned it with a smile of my own. Even though I had barely known Lauren two days, I liked that she trusted me so much already. It felt nice.

I walked over to her desk and knelt down in front of it, waiting patiently for her to speak.

  "It's just--" she started, then sighed, dropping her face into her hands. "I found out the reason Jackson didn't pick me up yesterday."

"And?" I pressed, curious to know.

"He was with another girl!" Lauren suddenly blurted out, lifting her head from her hands.

I could see the tears welling up in her eyes and out of instinct, I took her hand in mine. She closed her eyes, squeezing my hand tighter.

"Wow, I-- I don't even know what to say. I'm so sorry; that's...that's awful," I said.

  She just nodded, too upset to say anything. I let her cry, knowing she had emotions she needed to get out. Soon, however, she managed to calm down. She pulled her hand from mine to wipe away her tears and I immediately missed the contact.

"Thank you, Edward," she said softly, surprising me by using my first name. "Thank you for listening. I needed that."

"Anytime you need someone, I'm your man," I replied with a gentle smile.

Lauren chuckled softly and I noticed she started to fidget with her hands.

"My makeup probably looks terrible, huh?" She said, even though she was smiling.

  "No, not really. Your mascara only ran a little bit. Fix that and it'll look fine," I answered to which Lauren smiled brighter.

  "I'm glad you're so honest with me, Mr. Nygma, truly," she said, genuinely appreciative.

  "Well, I couldn't let you go walking around the precinct with subpar makeup. It wouldn't be right," I said in a light tone.

  Lauren giggled at that and I found that I had missed the sound of her laugh. It was so pleasant to hear, especially since she had been crying moments before. I straightened up from the floor, clasping my hands behind my back.

  "I'll leave you to fix your makeup," I said, grinning.

  "Thank you," Lauren said, giggling once more.

  I turned and headed for her door when her voice made me stop.

  "Mr. Nygma?"

  "Yes, Miss Hatfield?" I turned to face her.

  "Just...thank you again for listening...and for cheering me up," she said with a smile.

  I gave a polite nod. "Anytime."

  We said our goodbyes and I slipped out of her office and into mine. I took a seat at my desk, flipping through some of the case files on my desk while I thought about what Lauren had said.

I couldn't believe her boyfriend had cheated on her. Lauren was such a kind and genuine girl. Just last night, I could hear the adoration she had for her boyfriend in her voice. Why would he want to hurt her like that? She didn't deserve it; she was too sweet.

  "You're gushing."

I sighed. "You know, I was having a good day."

"So, little miss redhead caught her boyfriend banging another chick, huh?"

"She didn't say that!"

"But you know that's what happened, don't you?"

"I try not to make assumptions, unlike some people." I rolled my eyes, pushing up my glasses. "Can't you stay quiet so I can work? You were behaving so nicely before."

  "I didn't want to interrupt the moment you and Lauren were having. That was some cute stuff right there."

"I hate you."

"I am you."

"Shut up."

"You're only saying that because I'm right."

I sighed again, closing the case file I was scanning.

"Is there a point to this conversation or are you just here to torment me today?" I asked, agitated.

"Maybe if you say please, I'll tell you."

"I will stand outside in the rain and make us get sick if you don't stop being so annoying."

  "Alright, alright. No need to get snappy. I was just going to say that at least we know Lauren is available now."

  "I can't ask her out so soon after something like that!"

I heard him let out a sigh. I could just imagine the irate expression on his face.

  "Always the gentleman, aren't you?"

  I didn't bother answering as I stood up with one of the case files in hand. I headed out to the forensics lab, ignoring a snide comment from one of the detectives.

  Today felt like it was going to be a long day.

--------------------------------------------------
hey :D

so here's a new chapter! i'm so excited so many people are enjoying this story so i hope this chapter doesn't disappoint

let me know what you think of it☺️