Nineteen: Promises

I had to wait it out for a little while until Wesley arrived. I went to meet him at the door and greeted him with a kiss unlike the one I had experienced last night. It was deep and full of emotion. The good kind. 

When we pulled away, he smiled down at me and kissed my forehead. "What was that for?" 

I shrugged, "Can't I show my boyfriend a little love?" 

"I'm not complaining. I just don't want your parents to get the wrong idea," he said, looking around to find them.

"They're outside, Wes. You know, you're cute when you're nervous," I fixed a loose strand of his hair and pushed it back. "They'll be on their best behavior, I promise." 

"Right. Let's just go get this over with," he took my hand in his and led us toward the backyard. 

My parents greeted him as warmly as they could. They had obviously gotten one too many beers in their system and the fact that they were around Asher made them lighten up. Asher and Wesley exchanged a firm handshake, but I did my best to avoid eye contact with Ash. 

Jess got Wesley some food and we sat down at a picnic table my parents had set up. Unfortunately, the person to the right of me was none other than, you guessed it - Asher. I couldn't make it seem like there was something wrong between us so I acted completely normal. I let my parents do most of the talking. My dad was sitting parallel to Wes and my mom was parallel to me. 

"So last we talked, you didn't really have a plan for life. That still right, son?" My dad asked. 

Wes cleared his throat and took a sip of his water. "Well, yeah. And I'm not going to lie, sir. I still don't have a set plan." 

"Well, what kind of stuff are you into?" Asher questioned. 

"I mean, I'm doing great at school. I almost have the highest GPA in our class." 

"Other than school. Like hobbies and stuff," Ash clarified. 

"Sports, definitely. I play almost any sport," Wes smiled. 

"Never thought you'd go for jocks, Naomi," Ash raised his eyebrows and smiled smugly. 

"I needed a change." I hugged Wesley's arm and leaned against his shoulder. "I'm the best version of myself around Wes." 

I felt Wesley kissed the top of my head before taking the last bite of his burger. 

"I can vouch for that," my mom chimed in. "I don't remember the last time you threw a tantrum about something insignificant since you started seeing Wesley. Those were constant, remember honey?" she nudged my dad. 

"Man, I remember the fights we would get into. I didn't think I'd get my little girl to talk to me again."

"Dad, it was never that serious," I rolled my eyes. "But you're right. Wes helped me understand the world doesn't always revolve around me." 

"Never knew you didn't like being spoiled," Asher spat bitterly. 

"It's not like it stopped. Now I just get spoiled in all the right ways," I smiled. 

The tension there was obvious and it could be cut through with a knife. Jesse clearly had an instinct and tried to divert the situation, "Right, well Wesley, how would you like to see some of Naomi's old baby pictures? I don't remember showing them to you the last time you came over and they're a fun bunch." 

"Oh no," I laughed, covering my face. 

Wesley chuckled, "I'm sure you were a cute baby, baby." He then started to attack the side of my face with kisses until I put my hands down in defeat and started laughing uncontrollably.