Chapter 17 - F in Physics?...I don't think so...

Chapter 17 – F

It was a new record. Ten days and I hadn’t heard a peep from Ryan. I felt terrible about it, though I knew whatever he got was rightly deserved.

I sighed as I huddled against the cold on my way to physics. I was ready to forget about this whole revenge nonsense all together. It did nothing to make me feel any better and I had half a mind to just tell him the truth outright. Sure, Jessica would be a bit miffed at first, but considering she let the whole acting lesson thing slide, I’m postive she’d let it go…eventually. I’m sure she’d find herself some other form of entertainment besides getting involved in my seemingly over-dramatic life.

I sat down in physics, and watched as Mr. Randall began passing back papers, of what appeared to be our most recent test. Instantly my nerves were set on edge, though I knew in the back of my mind that I had nothing to worry about. My toes twitched feverishly within the confines of my shoe.

After what seemed like ages, the crisp white test was handed back to me, upside down. Holding my breath, I flipped it over only to see a nicely drawn letter C circled at the top of the page. This is terrible, was my first reaction. But, thinking back on the test, I knew I couldn’t have possibly gotten such a low score. Sure enough when I looked to the top right hand corner of the page I saw that the owner of the test was one of the guys in the back who coninually slacked off . Though I felt bad, the feeling of relief I felt was immediate.

“Mr. Randall?” I raised my hand, and he came over.

“Yes?”

“I think you gave me the wrong test.” Slowly, he leaned over me, far more than necessary, in order to look at the test. “Why, yes, you’re right,” he stated, before he searched through his pile again and handed me my real test, once again face down.

Now, satisfied I tunred it over quickly.

I did a double take.

Startled, I checked and verified that my name was labled at the top of the test.

Sure enough Melanie Clark was messily scrawled there.  

I felt like the entire world was crashing in around me. Right in the middle of the paper, was a large red F.

 I had never failed anything in my entire life.

“Hey, Melanie, what did you get on your test?” The girl next to me asked, eager to compare scores, to see if maybe she’d been able to better me for once. Tears pricked at my tear ducts.

 I mumbled, “you don’t want to know,” before I flipped the paper over quickly so she wouldn’t be able to see the shameful letter printed there. A tear dripped down my face, but I caught it, hoping that no saw. I then closed my eyes and held the bridge of my nose in order to prevent a complete break down. That was one of the last things I needed: It would only draw more unwanted attention to myself.

However, when Mr. Randall started reviewing the last night’s homework, I flipped the test over again, trying to determine a cause for this catastrophe.

I looked back at number one: If the distance between an object and another is doubled, then the ratio of the force between the first object and the second would be:

Simple, I thought, recalling the equation Fg (m1)(m2)/r2. It should be a ratio of 1:4. I clearly remembered bubbling in that answer.

However, when I looked back at my answer, the record said differently. I knew for a fact, though, that I wouldn’t have mistaken it for a ratio of 1:25. Something wasn’t adding up here, and an awful feeling began nagging at the back of my mind.