Chapter Seventeen.

"Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!"

― Jane Austen, Emma

Cassie sat in the passenger's seat of a taxi that was taking her home. Her day had been more eventful than she thought it would be. She was exhausted from all the information she had gotten from Brady, from her encounter with the infuriating detective, from the text she got. And the few minutes she spent with Joseph and Tate made her contemplate murder. It was right to say she needed some rest. From time to time her gaze would land on her phone screen to check if any message from Brianna had been sent. She wanted to see Brianna's message as soon as it came into her phone. She was not even sure if the message would be sent directly to her or if Brianna would send it through one of her friends like she did with Tate, or even through her parents.

Cassie's phone vibrated in her hands, and she got slightly excited at the thought of receiving a text or call from Brianna, but then she frowned when she saw it was not Brianna. Her excitement returned when she realized that she was receiving a call from Tyler.

"Hey, Handsome,'' She beamed "I've missed you," she pouted.

"Good. Because you're all I could think about all day," he sighed.

"When did you get so cheesy?" she teased.

"I've been spending more time with Phoebe," he joked.

Cassie laughed wholeheartedly. "what are you up to?"

"I actually just got off the phone with Caleb."

"Glad to know he's still alive," she said, dryly. "He never picks up my calls, but he is in contact with everyone else.''

Tyler chuckled. "Yeah, he's weird like that. He did ask about you at least five times."

"The idiot can't admit that he misses me to my face," she hissed.

"Speaking of idiots, I might have done something idiotic today, depending on how you'll take it."

"Go on...''

"I bought the tickets for our trip today. I was trying to be spontaneous. We leave tomorrow, 9:00 pm," he gave her the information quickly. There was some silence. Tyler cleared is throat and then he cursed underneath his breath. "I knew it! I should have asked you first."

"No, tomorrow is perfect," she bit her lower lip, and then she smiled at the thought of spending some time alone with Tyler away from all her troubles. "You're perfect,''  she added.

Tyler heaved a sigh of relief "you scared me there for a second." Cassie could hear the relief he felt in his tone. "I love you, babe,'' he said, with the most amount of sincerity she had ever heard from anyone.

"Love you too,'' she smiled.

"Are you sure tomorrow is okay," he asked to make sure. "I can always reschedule it to a more convenient time."

"I am a hundred percent sure," she said in a more rigid tone. " So can I know where we're going now?''

"Nope. Nothing you say or do can make me tell you," he bragged

"Really, nothing?" she asked suggestively, in a sultry tone. She glanced at the cab driver and giggled at the disgust he had on his face. She felt bad for the poor guy. All he wanted to do was to drive people to their destinations and get money in return, but she was making him suffer through her flirtation with her boyfriend.

Tyler cleared his throat "Nope, nothing," he said, although this time he did not sound as confident. "See you tomorrow, gorgeous," he said.

"Can't wait," Cassie replied, dreamily, and then she ended the call.