Chapter 12: That Fateful Departure

“Ugh… why does school have to start so damn early!?” Eren complained as he woke up. He turned to Levi and said, “Good morning Levi-senpai.” Eren jumped. “I’m getting too used to sleeping next to this man!” He thought out loud. “What are you screaming about? Don’t you understand how early in the morning it is?” Levi grunted. “Is this our last morning together?” Eren asked staring at Levi’s already packed luggage. “I’m 19 I might as well learn how to live independently as soon as possible before I leave for the army.” Levi explained. “Have I been this much of a nuisance?” Eren asked. Levi approached Eren and jolted the top of his head down to his level. “Why can’t you believe me? I’m using this opportunity as something similar to a self-journey. I want to find my own dream as an adult… what I really want to do.” Levi clarified.

“I thought you wanted to join the Military Police.” Eren asserted. “I realized that was my father’s dream. To gain so much honor and wealth so it would overpower my origins.” Levi described. “Why is this world so cruel to us?” Eren alluded. “I think there’s something you have to ponder on as well.” Levi responded as he went downstairs. “Levi-senpai! You can’t leave!” Eren begged.

“Levi, please tell me this is only for a few days.” Father Reiss imagined as he held a cold pack of ice on his head from his fatigue. “I don’t think I have any intention on joining the Military Police.” Levi expressed. “Unpack your belongings and head straight back to your room! You can’t-“Father Reiss raged as he was interrupted by Levi, “I can’t make my own choices?” The pressure was overwhelming Father Reiss, to the point that he developed a stroke. “Father!” Levi struggled as he tried to assist him. “Eren call the medical unit!” Levi commanded.

A few hours passed since Father Reiss was rushed to the hospital. “What do we do if he doesn’t wake up?” Mother Reiss cried. “I think he’s moving!” Mikasa announced. “Levi…” Father Reiss slurred, “This is too much for my old body.” “Ok” Levi agreed. “Ok?” Eren questioned. “I’ll marry Petra immediately and inherit our wealth” Levi declared. “What?!” Eren freaked. “Eren calm down!” Mikasa demanded. “I guess that will do…” Father Reiss mumbled as he fell back to sleep.

“Levi, honey, I love Petra very much but don’t you think you’re too young? You also don’t seem to like her that much either, we can always find someone else.” Mother Reiss worried. “But I do love her, and I want to get married before I join the army.” Levi confessed monotonously. “Liar…” Eren cried. “Why can’t you be honest with yourself?” Eren slapped Levi’s face and ran out the door. “Excuse him he’s just having a tantrum” Mikasa said as she ran after him. “That Eren seems to care about you immensely, Levi” Mother Reiss smiled as she held her husband’s hand.

“Why does this world hate me?!” Eren hollered to the snowy sky as tears streamed down his face. “This world is merciless…” Mikasa said as she took Eren’s hand. “…and it’s also very beautiful.” She continued with a smile.

“Mikasa what do you think the beautiful things are in this world of ours?” Eren persisted. “Family, friends… and you” She blushed. “You’re right. There are so many things I shouldn’t be so selfish about. Even if I don’t have Levi-senpai at least you’re here Mikasa.” Eren smiled. “Really?!” She gasped. “Yeah you’re my most precious family member” He cheerful expressed.

“I’m also selfish Eren” Mikasa confessed. “How?” “I want someone that I can’t have” “The prince?” Eren joked, “But that’s nice to know. I always believed you were the most independent person in this world.” Eren said. “It’s not wrong to be selfish sometimes though.” Mikasa suggested. “Really?” “Mother and Father Reiss are very selfish people for demanding Levi-senpai to join the Military police. But they only want the best for him.” Mikasa explained, “Now what do you think is best for Levi-senpai, Eren? What do you want from him?”

“Levi, now that your father isn’t listening…” Mother Reiss said, “… Don’t act like I don’t know how you act around Eren.” “Mother…” Levi was bewildered. “What do you want from him?”