Chapter 3

"who are you even to me! I don't need your money, in fact stay away form me"

I hear the faint voice of nurse trying to remind us to stay calm, we were disturbing the patients. But one look from Alberto she was a dead mouse.

"We can discuss this later."

"Don't you have work to do! Business to mind."

"You are my business." How I wish I can poke his eyeballs now. He is  despicable!

I turn around facing the wall, anything, anywhere except him.
That vile big creature, what does he think of himself. He can't just enter my life. Not when he brought nothing but havoc.

I feel two arms enclosing me, my eyes widen when his skin comes in contact with mine. I have this tingling sensation whenever he touches me and when its skin to skin the ache to be one becomes ten times worse.

And the ache had just begun            

Not able to contain myself I finally burst out.

"Why? Why! Now that I'm doing good in my life. I hate you Alberto. Have done it all my life" My voice comes out in a pained whisper. Tears of frustration start to roll down.

He tightly grabs my face and wipes my tears with his cold fingers. My god! His touch was  infectious.

"I will not compromise Emerald, I need to marry you and there is  no alternative." He commands in his raspy voice. It had a velvety crisp to it. His words held rare authority.
I feel his hot breath fanning on my skin. My gaze falls on his firm lips and unconsciously I lean in. What would be like to surrender--

Reality hits me hard and I pull away from him. What was I doing! I was a step away from being a wanton.

I wipe my tears and look directly into dark brown eyes, they were scariest at the moment.

Just then the doctor exists out of the Operation theatre and I  rush towards him keen on knowing what happened.

He looks at me sceptically and then proceeds his way towards Alberto.
I do exist!

"How is she?"

"well thankfully out of danger. She needs a lots of rest though, I hope the necessary needs would be taken care of"

Alberto gives him a slight nod.

"can we see her?" I nervously ask him. Acknowledge me. ACKNOWLEDGE ME.

"Not today, maybe tomorrow. Depends on her condition."
He pats my shoulder and takes his leave. From what, how and when my question has now turned to why.

"How much did you pay for the surgery" I try asking him with a pitched voice. A questioning silence lingers in the atmosphere. He takes his coat from the adjacent chair and stands upright facing me exactly and just like that I feel his intimidating stare turn on.

"Nothing  I cannot afford" I roll my eyes at his arrogance. He was rich, I could make out that but the thing is I wasn't and I minded it.

"Fine, I will find out anyway and pay it back" He started leaving and I frown a little

"where are you going"

Without giving me a answer he heads straight towards the staircase and vanishes.

I hug myself and decide to fresh up. I look at the wall clock and note than its five in the morning. I need to inform about not  being present today. I definitely cannot go for work.

I give a one last glance at the operation theatre and head towards women's loo.

I splatter the cold water on my face, relishing the moment of how refreshing It felt. I rub my eyes and ease of the dirt using cold water, it was chilling out but I was rather warm, because minutes ago I was wrapped in someone's embrace.