40: Welcoming

My heart raced as I reached our home. The broken down carnival I had grown to love so much.

Before I could walk to the main entrance, the door swung open. I backed away from it and watched Joker emerge. I smiled softly at him as he started to make his way towards me slowly. He stopped a foot away from me.

We stood there in silence, staring, waiting for the other to break the silence.

He finally decided to speak up, he hesitated as he opened his mouth before finally speaking up.

"It's nine. Did you drive as soon as you got my text?" oh, that voice. That high, alluring voice I had missed so much.

I smiled at this, feeling myself get a tad bit emotional. I linked my hands together as I let out a soft sigh.

"Yeah," I spoke, taking a step closer to him. He took me by surprise by taking this as a welcoming to close the space between us quickly, slamming his lips against mine in a passionate kiss. His arms held me so tight I was afraid I'd have trouble breathing, but I melted into his arms so fast, and I never wanted him to let me go. His embrace was so warm that the cold weather had nothing on us anymore, and my throat closed up when I realized something beautiful. Home was right here, with him.

When we pulled away after what felt like centuries of bliss, he kissed my temple and grinned. I could feel the pasty red makeup on my temple and mouth, but I stopped caring about the trace his face left on me long ago. "Finally, your ass is home." He was blunt in his statement, but he let out a humorous laugh almost instinctively as his playful eyes watched my actions.

I pursed my lips before pushing them back out, making a popping sound. I smiled nervously before I spoke up, almost afraid of how he'd react.

"Do you really mean it?" I asked. "Do you really love me?"

Joker folded his arms. "I'm not a liar, doll, you should know that. Would I have killed Merit so easily if I didn't? Would I have sent that text?"

I grinned. "You loooove me," I teased.

"Don't push it," he growled playfully. I smirked as I wrapped my arms around his neck, placing my head against his chest as I let out a soft sigh.

Rain started to fall, littering the cement with wet spots which gradually multiplied as seconds passed, until it was downright pouring onto the both of us. But we didn't mind. We just stayed there in a tight, loving embrace.

"I missed you. It was hard ripping myself out of that hellhole. I missed Gotham so much. I missed crime so much. . . " I hesitated. "Y'know, Superman and Batman may just come back for me."

"Let them," he spoke angrily. "I'll protect what's mine."

I grinned against his coat. "You better." I looked up into his eyes. "Let's go inside."

He turned to the door, taking my hand as he led me inside. "So, I moved your stuff out of your room."

My jaw dropped. "Why?" I questioned angrily. "Did you expect me to never come back? Was my stuff that disposable that you just—"

Joker had his arms folded as he waited for me to stop talking. His actions caused me to cease speaking, I frowned in confusion. "And moved it into my room." he finished. "Quick to anger," he grinned. "Feisty, is always sexy. Especially on you, doll."

I blushed as I put my hand on my heart. "I can't believe you moved my stuff into your room."

"Well, I mean," he shrugged. "You're my girl, aren't ya? You sexy little minx, you," he growled, eyeing me up and down. "God, I can't believe I haven't touched you in months."

I knew that look, but I didn't want to rush into sex just yet. "Well, tomorrow we can have sex, but for tonight, can we just. . . .Cuddle?" I asked.

"Cuddle?" he questioned. I knew he wasn't a man who openly admitted he liked cuddling, even though he did deep down. He rolled his eyes. "You're lucky I like you."

"No, I believe you lllooooooooo—" he covered my mouth now, causing me to snicker as we retired to his—I mean, "our"—bedroom. He held me close throughout the night, not once letting me go, and I never wanted him to. I was happy once more, in the arms of my love, in the city that I thrived in.