Chapter 26

“No! I refuse to make this work! This will never work!” I stood up from my seat both my hands banged the desk making me wince because my arm wasn’t still ready for any movements. Everyone’s attention turned to me, my father narrowing his eyes at my inappropriate actions. He called for a meeting of the 3 packs who are affected by the ambush. I was one of them, apparently. We were sitting in a huge round table on the pack house’s secret room, which is underground. There are 15 chairs all around. From left to right are my father, Alpha Gab and Alpha Larry then the betas and the third in commands with Luke and Nathan (who is sitting beside my father) and me in the middle.

“There is no time left young one. There is no other choice.” Alpha Larry sighed and ran his hand through his dark brown hair. I growled “The pack isn’t ready, even those who are ready aren’t ready.” I said implying that the all the men and women in the pack isn’t ready to fight, less train, and even ourselves, who have trained so hard weren’t ready for such an attack. Of course, everyone understood what I said considering their positions.

“Nathalie Grace Steele” my father said in a warning voice, telling me to back off and let them decide.  I scoffed, “The reason why we-“I motioned to the three of us “-are here is because we also have a say to what your decision will be!” I sat on the chair with a force. My father let out a defeated sigh as both of Nathan and Luke stayed quiet.

“What? You’re going to let those pups be abandoned?” I said in a challenging voice.

“As you can see Nathalie, even if we combine our fighters they still don’t stand a chance.” Alpha Gab’s beta said in a calm tone.

I rolled my eyes at the stupidity everyone was showing “You see? Even our fighters don’t stand a chance, and you’re going to let the whole pack go? Leaving only children’s behind?” I felt a hand on my injured arm as Luke whispered to me “Calm down, Lily.” The mere mention of my nickname making my wolf feel a warm and fuzzy. I closed my eyes for a moment before opening them again to find a very curious and angry Nathan. “What?” I said in a defensive tone.

“Nathalie’s right.” Alpha Gab agreed with me. “If our fighters can’t then how can the other who don’t even know what was happening?”

“You’re underestimating our pack member’s Alpha, who knows they might hold the potential.” His third in command said making me notice his presence.

I rolled my eyes again “Then care to explain how half of them are seriously injured?” I gave him an accusing glare.

My attitude towards the elders is very inappropriate, but, for the safety of the pack I’ll be the bitchiest person anyone could ever encounter. They’re risking innocent life for freaking sake.

“Because they are not ready.” He returned my cold stare. Wow, you have the guts to talk back to me.

“Then again, care to explain why the fighters, who may I add, has been training for a month, feels so helpless at those kind of moments?” Every word laced with sarcasm and anger. He opened his mouth attempting to think of a comeback but nothing came out. I smirked sarcastically before slumping to my seat.

“And who knows when they will attack again?” Luke said. Now it was Nathan’s turn to talk “Maybe sooner, while the whole pack is just recovering from the ambush.”

“Then first, we must think of how to put up our defenses and offenses to those kinds of… wolves...” my father said the last part with unease.

Then suddenly, an idea popped into Alpha Larry. He looked at me before standing up. “Nathalie how’s your wound?” he asked, motioning to the covered part of my upper arm. I was a little bit confused “I don’t know it still hurts when I move.” I said looking at my bandaged arm. His eyes widen before speaking “Have you noticed all the members of the pack who are injured?” He said, the corners of his mouth slightly tugging up. Then, I recalled when I visited the pack hospital. All of them can’t move their heads, and, the bite marks are all in their necks.” Realization started to sink in in all of us. Luke snapped his fingers, “right! The mutations were all aiming on their necks so that they won’t be able to move!”

Alpha Larry smiled “Right! But! Why would they aim for their necks while they can kill them immediately?”

Everyone looked at him curiously. He placed a finger in his chin as if on a deep thought “As I remember Nathalie’s wolf go crazy, the mutations’ weak spot is also their neck.”

I was still frowning while everyone was happy that they finally got their answers. I tried my best to recall what my wolf did when she took over, I don’t remember biting them, well, and so did fighting every one of them.

The Alpha’s dismissed the meeting as they think of many ways or possibilities in the battle.

“Hey are you coming or not?” I snapped out of my thoughts as Nathan’s voice rang my ears.

“Yea yeah...” I stood up like a zombie not focusing on anything but the event.

“Hey... you seem a bit… off.” He said going to my side.

Last thing I remember was that I was looking at the scenario. Blood, dead’s, fight, trunks. Arg!! Why can’t I remember!?

“uh, yeah.” I said walking on the stairs as I try to think that what Alpha Larry said wasn’t true.