Burning Beauty

Prologue

**June 18 1996**

The sirens blared in the firehouse. The red light flashing brightly signaling us to go. My crew slid down to the pole, rushed into our suits and gear and then  straight into the firetruck. I leaned over to the fire cheif ," What's it this time? House on fire, gas leak?"

"No, barn on fire on Hammel Drive. The girl who called said it seemed to have just erupted in flames out of nowhere. That barn has been vacant for some years which makes it strange."

"Strange chief, I guess we'll see what going on when we get there?"

"Yeah thats right, Daniel hopefully  its nothing to serious." His face straight but his eyes burning with anticipation.

We got there almost immediatly. The only thing that came into my mind as a coherent thought was that Chief was extremely off, this fire was bad. The worse I've ever seen in my young life. The barn was on its breaking point. The feild behind was up in flames as well, burning all of the crops that grew there. The team ran over towards the barn to  take out the fire . We unraveled the heavy water hose and cranked it on. The water pushed out with a force that had us stumbling slightly. We aimed the pressured water at the barn to take it out of its burning misery; While the second truck behind us went for the burning field.

 Then as if the situation couldnt get any worse The sound of crying seem to fill the air. I whipped my head around to find the source. There was a  girl no older then 10 years old with brown hair and brown eyes with tears streaming down her face. I let go of the hose knowing that my crew could handle it with out me and went over to  crying girl . I knelt down to her height and tried to calm her down.

"Whats wrong honey everything going to be okay you know that right" I said trying to make my voice come out smooth.

She looked at me  her eyes widen as if what i said had scared her," Mister, You dont understand....," she buried her head into her hands, her whole body shaking," You. dont. understand."

I looked at her my face becoming serious," what dont i understand you have to explain." Anxiety running through my veins. 

Her eyes red from the tears that were stilling burning her eyes," These men ...... These men th-they came over to the barn... with a b-baby in there hands and placed it in there. I saw them I saw them. I was looking out my window. and they place the baby in the barn. I never saw them come out though b-but. Not even a m-m-minute l-ater," she stuttered over her words her eyes going wider then they had before," the barn burst into flames and none of them came out. I- think t-there st-still in there. But, no-noone will listen to m-me." She said balling again. I Reacted quickly, I ran off towards the burning barn. That seem to still be burning no matter how much water we put on it.  

" THERE'S A BABY IN THE BARN. I REPEAT THERES A BABY IN THE BARN!!" I yelled and pulled down my smoke gas and into the disentigrating barn. I jumped over the burning pieces of fallen fence and dunk under the large pieces of burning cieling wood. I searched and searched dodging the falling pieces of wood that seem to fall like snow.  

Then as if all hope was lost I found the baby wrapped up in a white cloth laying in the middle of the barn on top of a shelf. I ran over to it, examined the surrounding and saw that the baby was not coughing nor was it weezing but staring up at me with expecting amber eyes. They seemed to burn with a deep intensity that no baby should be able to muster. She smiled and giggled her reddish brown hair slighly long and falling into her face. She looked like she was at least 9 months. Her arms raised for me. I smiled inside my mask though she couldnt see it. I went to lift her up and when i did something came over me. 

You will take care of her. Give her the life she deserves. You will take care of her. Give her the life she deserves.

The words seemed to repeat in my head. I knew I had to take caare of this baby. The baby giggled sounded like music when I pullled her close. I smiled inwardly and then ran her out of the barn. Instantly the barn slowly started to stop burning i looked around and the baby looked up at me. Her giggle like chimes. I walked out of the once burning building and brought her to the truck. Fireman swormed around me taking a look at the small baby in my arms. I never looked up from the beautiful baby that was in my arms. She was mine now and i would protect her with my life. 

"Call the chief over" I said  with all seriousness. The cheif walk over towards my crew. Looking at my arms. He removed his dirty gloves and peeled back the ashen sheets that covered the baby.  She smiled and giggled. He smiled and looked up at me," So what are we going to do with her....put her in an orphanage" His face fell and the baby frowned as well as if she understood us.

" Cheif, I want to adopt her, I want her as my own....and I wont take no for an answer" I said determinely. My Cheif was stunned at first and then smiled.

"I agree, You'll make a good father..." He patted my back and walked off giving one last glance at the baby. I smiled back down at her and started to walk off to the front of the firetrruck

My crew looked at me with stunned faces

"your going to take care of baby?"

"stop man put the kid in a orphange it will be better off"

"I guess if its what you wanna do"

"I support you, just dont be asking me to babysit."

I nodded barely at each of them my eyes focused on this mystery baby. Something caught my eye her palm was face up and in that palm was fire a small flicker before she closed her palm and fell asleep. I shook my head slightly baffled, I must be dreaming. I carried her into the firetruck and laid her down in my lap. I watch her soft features relax as she settled in. As, I watched her a name whispered quietly in my head. Kenna... Kenna....Kenna...........Born of Fire.

*******************************************************************************************************

Okay well, I know this is only the prolouge but I want you to tell me if its a good Idea and if i should continue with this story. I really like my idea but, thats just me I need your opinion so if you like it read it. Comment....and vote if you like. Just tell me what you think and if you all like it then I'll continue. Thank you :D