The Hunger

*MITCH'S POV* (1 MONTH AGO)

It had been a long and very boring day today for Mitchell Ortiz. All day he has been running around from store to store in the large shopping mall with his sister Ana as she looked at all the cute baby clothes she saw in the many shops around. By late afternoon, Mitch swore if he had to look at another onesie today he was going to scream. Just as his sister Ana was coming towards him with another onesie in hand...this time it was bubble gum pink with dark pink ruffles on the butt, his phone began to ring. He swiftly grabbed his phone to answer it before she could show him another mind numbing piece of clothing.

"Hello, Mitch speaking." his voice came across a bit eager in his joy that he had something to distract him from this insanity of his sisters.

"Hey Mitch...it's Kai-Anji." the sound of that lovely, silky, dark voice over the line sent a thread of pleasure down his spine and he gasped in delight that Anji called him....the next words he heard diminished that joy a bit. "Look...I'm sorry to call you about this ...but I have to cancel our date tomorrow night. It's my father...he is sick..." Mitch groaned in sympathy for the man at hearing the fear and pain in that voice...he could hear the heart wrenching apology in the man's voice and sought to ease some of his pain.

"Kai-Anji...hey...hey, it's alright. I understand. I am sorry he is sick. Is there anything I can do?" he asked softly as he heard Anji breath out a sigh...Mitch really wanted to do something that would ease this anguished man's burden he was now carrying. Maybe there was something he could do now and still get to see that man who captured his attention all throughout his nephew's wedding...and maybe it would take his mind a tiny bit off his troubles too. "What time does your plane leave tonight?" he listened as Anji answered and hope flared up that maybe his idea would work. "Hmmm... how about this? Let me take you out to dinner tonight and drive you to the airport so you will not have to worry about your car or having to take a taxi. This way, we can still have that date, if you want...or it can be just a good farewell between friends if you rather do that. Either way I can still get the pleasure of your company." he was hoping for a date but would settle with it being between friends...he heard a sharp intake of air and felt a thrill that his words were the cause of it. Hearing the man's reply only fueled that feeling inside as that silky voice stammered into his ear...he softly laughed at the sound, knowing inside that he made Anji blush. " How about I pick you up at 7 tonight for dinner? We can talk before you have to catch your flight." he tried to contain how eager he felt at knowing in a few hours he was going to bask in Anji's company. Quickly they both agreed to see each other and he got the address where Anji lived, then they parted with a promise to see one another soon. He pocketed his phone with a excited sigh and turned back around to see Ana staring at him as she tapped her foot in vexation that he had ignored her...the dreaded onsie still in her hand.

"And, who was that might I ask?" her tone was a bit sharp from having to wait for his attention...he wanted to cringe away but he stood there like a champ as he answered her.

"That was Kai-Anji. He had to cancel our date tomorrow...." she narrowed her eyes in anger that the first man who had caught Mitch's attention in a long while was backing out of their date. Her brother had not really given any man a second look since the day he acquired custody of her 7 years ago and had been to focused on school and work to have any time for such things. So now here he was finally doing something just for himself and the idiot of a man was backing out without giving her amazing brother a chance....her anger rose up in her.

"Why...is he canceling? It better be good or so help me next time I see that pendejo (jackass), I will castrar (castrate) him and...." her voice began to rise in her anger and Mitch knew if he didn't stop her now then she would cause quit a ruckus with the heat of her Latin rage.