Chapter 8

Sam's POV

"Honestly I'm not sure" the computer reads. Not sure? Ugh she's so infuriating, I don't even know why I bother to talk to her. There's just something about this girl, I don't know what but every time we talk I just want to  learn more and more about her. I know I shouldn't want to and that I should just stay away from her but I don't know if I can. I turn off my computer and decide to study for my geography exam that I'm gonna have in two weeks. Yes, I know, two weeks is a long time but I'm gonna need good grades if I ever stand a chance of getting the hell out of this hole. You see when my parents died I had to move in with my alcoholic aunt since I'm underage and she's the only living relative I have that doesn't live too far away. Needless to say neither one of us were too happy with this arrangement so I'm going to do everything I can to get out of here as fast as I can.

Time flew by as I was studying and it was already 8pm. Shit. I gotta go make dinner. I walk out of my room and into the kitchen. My lovely aunt is sitting in the living room, drinking and watching some shitty show, as usual. I decide on making something as basic as mac and cheese since I really wasn't in the mood to cook. After a few minutes it's done and I sit down on the sofa next to her to eat. "Dinner is ready" I inform her, getting a grunt as an answer. Dinner is filled with the usual awkward silence, since neither of us care enough to talk to each other. My aunt falls asleep right after and I go up to my room.

Around 10pm I get restless and decide to go for a walk. It's a bit chilly but the sky is clear and it's a full moon. I walk for at least 10 minutes and find myself in a new neighborhood. As I walk down the street I see some people further down . As I get closer I see that it's 4 guys, all wearing leather jackets with some sort of a symbol on the back and a girl who I recognized almost immediately. Hailey. At first I though they were just friends hanging out but now that I'm close enough I can see that she looks scared and one of the guys keeps getting closer and closer to her. "Stop, please, get away from me" she cries out. "Hey!" I shout getting their attention "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I push the guy that was bothering Hailey. She looks at me confused, probably wondering what I was doing there. I look at the guy that I pushed and  he looks really pissed off "You are going to pay for that you piece of shit." he says through his teeth. "RUN" I say as I take Hailey's hand. We run as fast as we can to my house and got in as fast as we could. Thankfully they didn't see us get in. We both start laughing once we're inside, still kinda high from the adrenaline. "Well.. that was an adventure." I say between laughters. She doesn't say anything back and it's quiet for a while. "Hey uhm, thank you for that. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't showed up." She says looking down at the floor. I'm seeing a whole new side of her that I never thought I would get to see, so shy and so humble. "Well of course, it's no big deal really." I say looking at her and she smiles. Wow. You know how some people have a smile that just lights up the room? Well she's one of those people. It's too bad she doesn't smile more often. "You know, you should stay here tonight, in case those guys are still out there." "Oh no, I wouldn't want to bother you, besides my dad is probably waiting for me" "It wouldn't be a bother, just text your dad and say you're staying over at a friend's" "You're sure?" "Positive." "Alright then. And Sam? Thank you... again" 

While she's in the bathroom taking a shower I slip into my PJ's and look through some old clothes to find a t-shirt and maybe some shorts she can wear. I'm glad my bed is a double so I don't have to sleep on the couch next to my aunt. She comes out of the bathroom wearing only the towel I gave her with her hair pulled up in a bun and looks, well, beautiful. "Uh here I found some old clothes you can sleep in." I say handing them to her. "Well turn around then, I gotta change" "Oh, right, sorry" I turn around facing the wall until she's done. She gets in my bed and I lay on my back beside her but still keeping a distance between us. I don't want her to think I want to take advantage of her. "You are so different from all the other guys I know." She says out of nowhere "Any other guy in your situation would try to have sex with me but you are instead trying to make sure there is a space between us" "Oh?" I reply not sure if she means it as a compliment or not "It's a good thing, I promise. You're a good guy Samuel." She says now facing me. I face her back and smile "My name is Sam." "Yeah Sam. Short for Samuel." She states. "No, Sam isn't actually short for anything" I explain to her. "My mom and dad wanted to give me an "unusual" name so they named me Sam. Just Sam." It's quite again for a few seconds "Is it hard talking about them? Your parents?" she asks me "Yeah it's always hard. But I feel like it's something I have to do. I can't just never talk about them, you know?" She doesn't say anything and we both just lay there until we eventually fall asleep.