A Most Strange Conversation

Unedited

I had to take a minute to think about what was happening just now. He was here, in my room. He talked to me, in a voice rich with mystery and an accent. He told me his name; Dorian, Dorian Densmore. Such a peculiar and old yet beautiful name it was. It suited him, the layers of mystery surrounding him went well with his name that added, even more, curiosity to him. He was a puzzle, and I was slowly receiving the pieces.

A nervous chill iced through my veins. It wasn't the fear of Charlie walking in and seeing him that frightened me, nor any other reason. It was just him. He made me nervous by just standing near me. I didn't feel like this in the bookstore, we didn't really talk; we were just in a comfortable silence. But now we were talking, and he was actually answering.

We took a silence upon us to ponder what he had told me.

"I'm not sure...I don't know really...it's hard to explain." He sounded confused. Just as confused as I was. Like he didn't know any better than I did. Why is that? He's not sure if he's dead?

I dropped the subject. He didn't look comfortable at all talking about this. My fear of him leaving once the questions overwhelmed him made me bite my tongue and swallow down my words. He stood rigid in his spot, his hand in his pant-pockets and his hair covering his eyes. It was hard to avoid looking into them when they shined so brightly in the dim-lit room.

"How did you get there?" I asked, "The other day...how did you know I was there?" I continued. He rubbed the back of his neck as he answered me.

"Uh...I really didn't know, I just felt another presence in the school and followed the energy." He looked into my eyes and looked dazed for a minute before he shook his head lightly and looked away.

"How did you make the ghost go away?"

"How about we play a game?" he said suddenly with a mischievous smile that did him well. I leaned back with a weary look.

"What kind of game?"

"It's like 20 questions, you get an answer for an answer." He said and I nodded my approval. Maybe I could get some answers out of him.

"You start," I said. He nodded and smiled.

"How can you see me right now?" he asked with a frown. I didn't know how to answer. He went straight into it, didn't sugarcoat it or start with simpler questions. He immediately dropped the bomb on me.

"I don't know, I've been able to ever since I can remember." He frowned at my half-truth answer but didn't say anything. He suspected that I wasn't fully honest with him, but he himself was not answering completely truthful.

"My turn, what did you mean when you said you felt another presence in the school?"

"It sort of hard to explain, but when more than one ghost is in the same territory...you sort of feel their presence, sort of like a tug in their direction." He explained. I noticed him still standing and I gestured for him to sit, and he took the armchair opposite me, sending a small smile in my direction that made my heart flutter.

"So you are a ghost?" I asked.

"Uh uh! My turn, for how long have you been able to see the dead?" this guy is not laying it easy on me.

"Almost ten years..."I mumbled and his eyes widened in surprise.

"Wow...that's a long time..."

"Yes, it is. Anyway, my turn, where are you from?" I finally asked. His accent was becoming clearer and clearer yet I couldn't tell where he was from. Though one thing for sure, he is not from Forks.