The Noise

Lila took the backseat as her alter ego Asura took the stage. Lila was shy and timid but Asura was fierce in the way she devoured the stage. Asura was drunk with power as she commanded the mob that surrounded the stage to jump and push each other. The bare bones of the massive old barn shook as Asura jumped around the stage almost screaming out the lyrics to one of their best songs. The lights bore down on the stage basking Asura, and her band in its warm light. She found herself suspended in her own world where time no longer existed, leaving Asura with no idea of how long she had been performing. The only gauge she had to keep track of time was the amount of sweat gluing her shirt to her body.

She continued jumping and running from one side of the stage to the other tossing her long black hair in all directions. Despite this display she became painfully aware of the bald guy front row and center, who instead of jumping and pushing and screaming like the rest of the crowd only swayed side to side. Asura felt almost angry at him, she commanded this crowd, after all and she did not want him to sway. Lila had to pull Asura back a bit otherwise she would have dived off stage and tackled him, or who knows what else. This man began to remind her of a pendulum swinging back and forth almost. hypnotizing. She became very uneasy about him something just was not right. His eyes were concealed by his sunglasses, but she knew they were watching her and she felt like a gazelle, like on the television, right before the lion locked its jaws around its neck.

                Finally they had to relinquish their control over the audience to the next band and Lila once again regained control. As they stepped off stage, which was constructed out of two-by-fours and cinder blocks, Lila noticed the bald guy pushing his way out of the crowd. As the last of the crowd cleared Lila saw the man was carrying a white cane with a red tip. Lila knew now why he was wearing shades in a poorly lit barn. Lila fidgeted as he grew closer she hated it when strangers came up to her it made her very uncomfortable. In fact many things made her uncomfortable. He grew even closer the area backstage was chaotic but all Lila could pay attention to was the creepy bald guy.

He looked like he was in his late twenties. He was so pale he was almost luminescent, with very sharp angular features. Lila could only guess what his eyes looked like the sunglasses offered no help. It was almost like peering into two black holes, and Lila felt if she looked more than a second they might pull her in and swallow her. He wore a black long-sleeved shirt, dark jeans, and a chain around his neck.

She quickly grabbed some equipment trying desperately to look busy so he would not bother her. Despite her attempt though, he continued his approach. “Wow you guys are amazing,” He said as he came to a stop in front of Lila.

                “Ummm thanks “Lila said as she looked down at the red tip of his cane knowing that her face was nearly as red.

                Jeremy the drummer in the band and Lila’s big brother came up behind her and said “You have to excuse Lila here she is terribly shy.”

                “Really how interesting I would have never had guessed the way she commanded that stage.”

                “Yeah it’s funny huh, but how would you know that, you’re blind right?” Lila’s embarrassment grew; how could he say something so stupid.

                “Yes but some things you don’t need eyes to see, I can tell this young lady has quite a stage presence, and her voice is astounding .” Lila felt like her face would explode if any more blood rushed to it. “Let's go outside a minute away from all this noise I have a business proposition for you.”

                “Fine, we will meet you outside in a few minutes,” shouted Jeremy.

                Lila watched as he navigated towards the doors; he moved with such ease through the crowd that she thought it was strange. Could a blind person really move that easily through a crowded room? “What do you think about that guy?” Lila asked.