Chapter Eleven: First Day on the Job

The next morning I lie in bed contemplating my next move. If I don't do what Moriarty wants, Sherlock will die, but if I do what he wants I will be going against my morals and everything I have ever worked for. Well this isn't an ideal situation to say the least.

Just as that thought crosses my mind, my phone chirps in a way that sounded slightly mocking to me this early in the morning.

'Rise and shine. Your first job is to meet one of my customers. Really, another of my agents will be doing the talking and all you have to do is stand there and look pretty. Or menacing, it's your choice. You're just there to make sure everything goes smoothly. -M'

'So you trust me more than your agent?'

'No. I'm introducing you to my way which is why they'll be doing the talking. Remember our deal.'

'How could I forget?'

With that I turn my phone off and start getting ready. I may as well play along until I can figure out what to do about this whole situation.

I arrived at the park feeling very out of place in my high heels and skirt. I only had these from when I had to look professional for my job. They were completely impractical for what I would normally be doing which, I thought, was ironically meant to be catching criminals. Not working for them.

After waiting around at the park for 5 minutes, another man in a business suit came up to me.

"Darcy?"

"Unfortunately, yes." I grumble. I don't like to be kept waiting and left alone with my thoughts, which had taken rather a dark turn.

"Well, let's get going then." The man snaps. 

'He'll be fun to work with,' I think bitterly.

It turned out to be a very boring business transaction between to very boring middle-aged men in suits. I understood very little of it, which frustrated me a little bit given that I wanted to be able to gather as much evidence against Moriarty as possible so that when I eventually got out of this situation I could bring his 'empire' down. 

After the transaction had ended, I was herded into a car by Moriarty's other agent. We sat in the back as the sleek silver car pulled away and started heading to god knows where. The other agent got out at a fancy looking block of apartments and the car started heading towards 221B. As we arrived, I am about to get out when the driver speaks.

"How was your first day on the job?" 

Moriarty's voice, which has hounded my thoughts, is so unwanted at this point that I snap.

"Fine. But you sent me to sit in on a boring business transaction when I thought you wanted to use my mind."

"Believe me sweetheart, I'm already using it. We just have to keep an angel like you safe."

With that I open the door and got out, angry with his last words. What did they mean?

"Go to hell," I hiss as I slam the door shut. 

I hear him chuckle as the car pulls away. I storm up the stairs to my apartment, angry that he would have the nerve to speak like that to me and that I couldn't understand him. 

"Darcy! I was thinking-" John pops his head out of the door, but I sweep past him, fury boiling in the pit of my stomach. I am now determined to bring Moriarty down.

I clear the last few stairs and throw my coat on the couch of my apartment, before turning to the big empty wall before me. I left it empty before because I hadn't thought I'd be staying long, but now I was determined to fill it with evidence against Moriarty. 

I am going to bring him down.