Sasuke x Reader

Prompt:

"It's human nature that people won't realize the true value of something until they lose it."

Letters, letters, letters.

I couldn't tell if they were really from him or if someone was playing some sick joke on me.

Every so often I'd wake up and find a letter. Written in his penmanship, addressed to me.

For some reason I didn't care if they were from him. Even if he himself came to my doorstep and told me it wasn't him who had been sending them, I'd still let myself indulge in a fantasy that would likely never come true.

They didn't come often, twice a month at least. And every time I'd run to my dresser, hastily open the letter and let myself be happy. Sometime they would be 7 pages long, some times 3 sentences, but each gave me an almost embarrassing about of happiness.

But like everything good, this soon stopped happening. I'd wake up, find that once again there was no letter, then proceed to go along with my duties as a shinobi.

Present day.

I heard a loud, and obnoxious knocking at my door. I looked up, and found it was still dark out. The clock read 2:45.

Why would anyone be knocking at my door at 2:45?

I ran down my hallway, nearly slipping on the slick mahogany floors, and opened the door panting.

"Naruto? What happened?" I asked trying to catch my breath.

I looked up at him, and noticed he was with someone else. I couldn't see them due to the fact that it was dark, and they seemed to blend in with the shadows.

I could only make out a tall, and slender silhouette. Their hair was spiked and.... No is this?

Is this Sasuke? It couldn't be. Did Naruto live up to the promise he made years ago? There's no way.

Before I knew it I felt my body lunge toward the mystery person; hot years running down my face, onto their shirt.

When he hugged back, I embraced him tighter, I felt like he would slip out of my arms any second.

The lack of letters. I thought they meant he had given up on me. But really he was preparing for our reunion.

"Sasuke?" I softly whispered.

"Yes, it's me. I'm back." He told me, petting my hair.

I released him from my tight hold, and looked at his face. It was no longer hidden in the shadows like before. Now it was illuminated by the moonlight, he looked so different from the last time I seen him. It had been 3 years since we could talk, or hug, or even see each other.

Before now, I'd considered this to be a pipe dream. Nothing more than another fantasy. But now he was here. Sasuke was home.

Then as if we knew what each other was thinking we both said the words we'd been holding back for so long.

"I love you."