Chapter Three

There was a loud, deafening 'bang' that resonated through the trailer

There was a loud, deafening 'bang' that resonated through the trailer. Then, the back door was roughly yanked open, and light spilled into the dim interior.

Between the bang and the door opening without warning, several of the other apes began shrieking with fear and rattled the doors to their crates in an attempt to free themselves.

A dark form filled the doorway, and deafening pops echoed throughout the trailer as bright flashes of light littered the air with angry metal hornets--hornets that could hurt and kill.

Mickey cried out and threw his arms over his head as a hornet buzzed through his crate, tearing a hole through the metal and plastic before disappearing. Across the way, Gertie went abruptly still as hornets struck her in the face and chest. Duke also became suddenly quiet when hornets buzzed into his crate.

Then, just as suddenly as the hornets had started buzzing, they also went quiet. In their place was the sound of struggling: grunts and thumps, along with hisses of pain. Dropping his arms, Mickey pressed his face to the door of his crate.

He saw two shapes outlined against the open door, shifting uneasily back and forth as they fought. Mickey could also hear more struggling outside. Cries of pain and dismay rang through the air.

Without warning, something hit the trailer's floor and rattled towards him. Peering at it, Mickey saw that it was a metal thing the guards at the Center carried, calling it a 'hand gun'. A heartbeat later, a body, and Mickey found himself looking into the bruised and battered face of an unmoving human male.