10.4 The deep unknown

~ Elija ~

I'm so incredibly nervous. My father asked me to come work at his company a few weeks after our vacation in Sweden, and while I know it's beneficial to my future career and it's really just plain nice of him to offer it, I'm really anxious about what could happen. I don't exactly have much experience yet. I was too busy sleeping around. Talk about wasting time... I don't know how this is going to go and that kind of scares me. Not knowing what I'm jumping into. The deep unknown. My father's company is unfamiliar territory and I have no idea what I can use to get what I want. In theory, I know how the business world works, but I've rarely put the skills to use in practice. He never gave me any information about his company, either, and I didn't think to ask until it was too late. I'm literally going in completely blind.

Before I leave, I give Mikky a hug that lasts for about eighty centuries and another. When he tries to free himself, I hold onto him even tighter and hug him for some more. Eventually, Mikky clears his throat and asks, "Why are you even holding onto me like you're heading to your own funeral? You're just going to work."

"Exactly! I have no idea what I'm gonna do! I'd much rather stay here with you."

He sighs and attempts to remove my arms. "You're acting like a fucking toddler, Elija. Please get off and just go already or do you want me to walk you to the train station?"

"Yes."

"I wasn't serious."

"I still want you to."

"Fine," he huffs, smacking my hands away to go grab his shoes and I smile to myself in victory, throwing the door open. Just when I step out into the hall, the door to the next apartment opens, revealing Gray. I lift my hand in a greeting, smiling at him, and he asks, "Are you going to your father's company today?"

I nod, trying not to show how nervous I am. To divert his attention—and because I'm genuinely curious—I ask, "How's Seth?"

"Still feeling miserable, so I'm getting him some medicine. The doctor said he can have that if it gets bad."

"Oh, okay, I hope he feels well again soon then."

"Yeah, me too. Have fun at work!"

I thank him just as Mikael is leaving the apartment, and he quickly says hello to Gray before grabbing my hand and dragging me through the hallways like his life depends on it. "We're going right away, or you'll be late. With all that hugging, you're bound to have lost some time."

"Yeah, yeah, I'm going, aren't I?"

When we get to the bottom of the stairs, he keeps holding my hand to make sure I keep walking, and I smile at everyone we pass, hoping they're having a better day than I am. Well, I mean, it's not that bad so far.