Prologue

July 2011
Narrator

"Are you all ready to open your acceptance letters" heather Norman smiles brightly at the soon to be college students sitting before her.

"Yeah I'm ready" Kassie the daughter of Erykah and Andre Wright smiles confidently.

Odell,Jarvis,and Kassie's longtime friend Teyana also nod in agreement that they're ready to finally open their acceptance letters.

The kids who grew up with each other all applied to the universities of their choice and now they've got the letters that hold their fate in their hands.

"Who wants to go first?" Odell Beckham Sr. Odell's father asks.

"I'll go first,I guess" Odell smiles nervously. He begins to open the letter sent to him from Lsu.

Getting into Lsu is very important for Odell. His parents both attended LSU and Odell even somewhat attended as well since his mom had him in college and he would attend class with her as a baby. Odell's passion is football and he's always wanted to carry on his fathers legacy at LSU.

Odell opens his letter and his eyes scan through it so fast and a smile appears across his face. "You got in?!" Heather asks excitedly. Odell nods standing up as he hugs his mother who's bouncing up and down in excitement and hugs his father.

Everyone congratulates Odell and next Jarvis opens his letter also being accepted into LSU giving his mom a big hug,then Teyana opens hers and she's hoping to get into her dream school of Juilliard.

Teyana loves to dance and so she's always wanted to be a choreographer. Teyana begins to scream loudly scaring everyone a bit."I GOT ACCEPTED!!" She jumps up and down and engulfs her parents in a group hug.

"Okay baby girl it's your turn" Kassie's mother joyfully sings.

Kassie takes a deep breath and begins to gently open up the envelope. The room is silent as she thoroughly reads through the letter.

A tear begins to falls down from her face everyone confused as to whether or not she was accepted or rejected from the university she had applied to.

"What's wrong sis? Did you not make it?" Kassie's younger brother Jaden asks.

"No,I made it in!" Kassie smiles as tears of joy come out. She hugs both her mother and father.

"You going to LSU right?" Odell asks. "No I'm going to Spelman university" Kassie says joyfully.

Everyone congratulates her knowing that she was definitely going to make it into an amazing school like Spelman which is a Liberal arts women's college. It's a Historically Black College for women (HBCU).

Kassie's parents Andre and Erykah raised her and her three brothers to be very conscious and aware of the issues going on within the world and their communities.

Her father Andre Wright who is a well known music producer who's worked with many artists who used their music to give out messages and he even did music as well.

Along with her mother Erykah who had a soulful music career and both of her parents were huge Afrocentric figures.