XIII: Pretend

~ Lauren's POV:

"C'mon, Ren. Hurry!" Isabel calls out. Since when did she called me by my nickname?

"Don't you 'hurry me', women! I'm on crutches for goodness sake!" I snapped as I chased after her. School ended, and Montes was 'suppose' to drop me home, but she insisted to go somewhere. It was really hot out, and I feel like passing out, but I have to put up with it.

"Here we are," she says as she spreads her jacket onto the grass, under a tree. She then sits, and lays next to her jacket. I stared at her craziness for a couple of seconds.

"Come, sit," she patted the jacket next to her.

"No," i said, and looked around. There were no signs of people, just nature.

"I wanna go home." Montes ignored me, and put her hands under her head. I hate her for the nth time.

I groaned, and laid next to her, glaring at the sky. Here I am, under a tree, and laying next to the girl I hate. I've never pictured myself this close to her without bickering our heads off.

After a few minutes, I felt sleepy. "Anderson!" she shout out as my eyes were about to close. She ruins everything. I jolted awake. I turned my head to look at the green-eyed girl, and was shocked to find her face mere inches from mine. I screeched, and pushed her face away.

"OW!"

I rolled my eyes, got up, then leaned on one of my crutches. "I'm hungry, lets go," I say as I advanced to my car. Her bike was in my garage, while I made Isabel borrow my car, and take it home afterwards, so she wouldn't be wasting gas. My second reason would be to not have her back pressed against my front. I barely could breath when that happens.

*           *           *

"Dad?" I called out from upstairs. I opened the door to his office to find it empty. He's busy again.

I then entered my room when Montes left. I set the crutches near the doorway. Gosh, this stupid thingy on my ankle was so itchy. I bent down and took the cast off. I sighed in happiness. My foot felt free! I rotated it a few times before walking to the kitchen to get something to snack, and drink on. It didn't really hurt anymore since I started walking on it 'privately' 3 days ago. Isabel didn't know that it was okay now, but I still have to continue on with the act a few days more.

After grabbing a couple of rice krispies, and two pouches of Capri sun, I walked back to my room. I sat on my bed criss-crossed, and began to open up the chocolate drizzle, rice crispy.

"Psst!"

I stopped abruptly and looked around. My window was closed, and it was unlock. That looks suspicious. No one couldn't have gotten in. My bedroom is on the second floor unless they used a rope or something. I was beyond frightened. I listened for a few seconds, then... Nothing.I calmed down a bit, and began with what I was doing. I think it was me just hearing things. Heck, it was still around 6pm. It's not dark yet.

I was about to bite on it when I heard a creepy,soft-spoken voice saying, "Haah." It caused goosebumps to form onto my skin, and my fingers and toes grew cold. I shoved the snacks, and drinks into my blanket, and dove right under, concealing myself. I'm such a scardy cat. I heard a deep, girly laugh, and got pissed. I removed my blanket, and grabbed the first thing I could get my hands on.

I angrily stomped my way to my closet. As i neared it, it suddenly opened, and an ugly-looking creature came out. On instinct, I began hitting it with my pillow. Yes, my precious pillow.