Chapter 2

"So you're saying that you've never been anywhere apart from Britain and America?" Lucifer asked me, sounding genuinely surprised. I shook my head, "No, my parents wouldn't have allowed me to go. Even when I was in the lower grades and we had trips to Europe and stuff."

He looked shocked. It was true, though, I had never been anywhere. I mean, I knew every big city in the UK and I'd been to every state at least twice before, but I had never seen any other part of the world. It was on my to-do list, which I had been building up since I was eight. It included visiting every country on earth (it was a long shot, but I wanted to do it more than anything), learning at least two new languages (already done, I had learned Spanish and French, and I knew written Latin, so I could kind of see how Latin-based languages worked), and tell my parents everything that I think about them. There wasn't anything about love or romance in that list, simply because I didn't believe in love. I thought that two people could tolerate each other, be civil to each other, but love... it was something that didn't exist for me.

"Why don't you just go now? You've almost finished you're A-levels (for my American friends, an A-level is equal to an AP or the SAT II), so you can do whatever you want after that" Lucifer suggested. I sighed. "It ain't that easy. My parents will probably make me work for them or something to pay off living expenses", I told him.

He looked sad and thoughtful. He was quiet for a minute, but then he said something that I wasn't expecting.

"This is what's wrong with humanity – people are unable to love even their own children. How can your parents treat you like that? This is why I hate people."

I knew that he was saying it out of compassion for me, but I really hated being pitied, so I decided to make the conversation take a lighter turn, so I said, mostly joking, "Gee, thanks, Lucifer, it's not like I'm a 'people' or anything. You're a 'people', too, so you can't really say that you hate yourself." His look didn't change, and I sighed again. "Not all people are like that though, I know they're not, it's just I was unfortunate enough to be born to those who didn't want me. You can't judge the whole of humanity based on my parents' actions."

Lucifer seemed to unfreeze. He looked me over, and said, "I'm sorry. Not about saying that about people, no, that's my opinion and there's not much that can change it. I'm sorry for you..."

"You can stop right there", I interrupted him. "I don't want a stranger to feel sorry for me."

"Hey, I'm not a stranger. I mean, hell, we're drinking coffee together," he said, smiling. I blushed. He was just too goddamn handsome, and not only that, but he was clever and kind and understanding. "And talking of coffee, have you finished your cup?" Lucifer asked and I nodded. Time seemed to fly while I was talking to him, and we'd already had two cups already. The flight was delayed again, now it said that we had to wait another three hours, but I didn't mind. To be absolutely honest, I had practically been locked up with my brother for the last three weeks, so talking to Lucifer was good. It was kind of uplifting, just remembering that people outside my family and classmates didn't mind my company. And Lucifer was... I had to admit that I as getting a crush on him. "Yes, I've finished", I replied.

He got up. "I'll go get refills, then", he told me. "Would you like the same or something different?" He asked. "Same, please". That Americano had gone down really nice and I wanted some more. "Hold on, I'll get my money."

Lucifer looked at me as though I had slapped him in the face. "Onyx, please, don't offend me like that", he said. "But, uh..." I stuttered. He held up his hand. "No, Onyx, I was the one that offered coffee, so I'm not going to make you pay for it. Actually, I wouldn't even if I hadn't offered." He told me and walked off to the bar to order.