Chapter One

A/N okay, I got the book so I can finally start writing! Read it and it was just as awesome as the movie. Also, I don't own anything only Kat. Everything belongs to J.K. Rowling.

Newt gently put a sleeping Katrina on his lap. They were on a ship bound for New York, where Kat's uncle planned on releasing a certain Thunderbird ... amongst other things. Newt sighed at the thought of releasing Frank. Newt loved the Thunderbird, but he knew he couldn't keep all creatures. Newt's love for creatures had always been there. In his defence though, his mother did breed Hippogriffs, which exposed Newt to the wonderful world of magical beasts. Lost in happy memories, he put his chin in his hands as he stared out into the sea, where the faintest bit of land could be seen.

Newt was suddenly distracted as the catch on Newt's case opened on its own accord. Or so any Muggle would have thought. Newt knew better and he inwardly sighed. The mischievous Demiguise was trying to get out again. He picked up the case and murmured to it.

"Dougal - you settle down now, please. It won't be long."

Sure enough, Newt's words became true since in an hour or so, they reached land - New York. After admiring the view of the Statue Of Liberty briefly, Newt gently shook Katrina. He knew the poor girl was exhausted, as she had been woken up at the break of dawn to catch this cruise.

"Kat, dear, wake up. We made it. We're in New York." the sleepy six-year-old sat up rubbing her eyes blearily.

"Hmm?" Katrina said, evidently not fully aware of her surroundings. Newt laughed softly then grabbed her hand, and the case, then walked off the gangplank to join the long queue.

As they were waiting in the queue for customs, Katrina began to fall asleep standing up. Newt shook his head, smiling to himself. Just as he was about to pick her up, he heard a sharp "Next!" from the next available customs officer. Kat jerked awake as Newt began walking, dragging her forward. She grumbled and raised a hand to rub the sleepiness out of her eyes.  Newt handed the officer both his and Kat's passports.

"British, huh?" The man's curt voice rang out.

"Yes." Newt's accent stood out particularly.

"First trip?"

"Yes."

"Anything edible in there?"

The customs officer gestured towards the suitcase.

Newt raised a hand to his chest pocket, where he could feel movement. At his touch, the shifting stopped. "No."

"Livestock?"

However, just as Newt was about to respond, the catch in his case opened again. He didn't notice, but felt a poke in his leg.

"Daddy?" Katrina whispered. "Your catch popped open."

Newt looked down at his case.

"Must get that fixed-ahh, no."

To Newt's surprise, the stern customs officer smiled down at the little girl.

"Your daughter?"

Newt leaned forward.

"Actually," he whispered so Kat couldn't hear,"she's my niece. What really happened was that her dad gave her up to me."

The officer looked sympathetic.

"Oh. I see. Well, welcome to New York!" He said gesturing dramatically to make the young girl laugh, which she did happily.

Newt gave a relieved smile.

"Thank you. C'mon Kat! Off we go!"

"Next!"

~~~

The two figures walked in the famous American city. Newt held a piece of paper with directions on it, although he barely looked at it as he was amazed by everything his eyes lay sight on. Kat was jabbering on about how much she wanted to see more magical creatures and what not, which Newt only half-listened to. However, Newt's interest was caught a lady speaking. He slowed down, causing Kat to grumble.

"Daddy! Come on." Katrina whined.

"Hang on, Kat." He replied, distracted.

The woman continued "...this great city sparkles with the jewels of man's invention! Movie theatres-"

Katrina gave up on listening as she didn't understand the figurative language and Muggle buildings. She noticed the flag that one of the men were holding, though, and saw a broken wand. Her tiny eyebrows rose.

"Daddy, are they saying that wizards and witches are bad?" She whispered. When he didn't answer, her mind began to mull over several questions. Why did that Muggle insist that wizards and witches were bad? Kat continued gazing around, and as Newt slowly started to walk again, she accidentally bumped into a lady eating a hot dog. Newt finally noticed his niece.

"Oh...so sorry." he said, barely paying attention. "my niece, she gets easily distracted." He muttered and walked on, forgetting Kat.

Katrina snorted loudly. "Says you." She mumbled as she hurried to follow.

Kat tugged on his coat sleeve lightly as a man tripped over her uncle's case. Kat groaned as Newt let go of Katrina's hand to haul him up. She caught a glimpse of a pudgy man in a suit before her uncle blocked her view.

"I'm so sorry - my case-" Newt stammered.

"No harm done. " the man replied. He walked towards the bank, mumbling another apology as he bumped into another woman, the same woman that Katrina had bumped into. She narrowed her eyes as noticed that the woman was watching them rather closely. Kat stuck her tongue out at the woman, which caused the black-haired lady to become flustered and turn away. Kat grinned.

Seeing something out of the corner of her eye, Katrina gave another hard tug to Newt's sleeve, eyes wide in horror.

"What is it, sweetie?" Newt asked. Katrina pointed wordlessly at the bank stairs, where everyone could see a sly, platypus-like creature grabbing a beggar's money. Newt immediately groaned.

"Katrina, I need to find a place where you can get in the case. Stay in there until I come for you. Grab the Niffler when I catch it. Don't touch anything I never showed you how to use." He grabbed her hand again and ran to a nearby alley. Newt practically shoved her down the trunk. She landed with a thump.

Kat sat there for a second then got up.

"That's the second time that happened." Kat said, jutting out her bottom lip. "Why can't Daddy just take me with him instead of dumping me here?" She sighed and began shuffling away to find comfort in the creatures her uncle seemingly loved more than her.