Superhero {Chapter 13}

I'm sitting on Eliza's stoop outside when Elliot comes and sits beside me.

"He really stole your car." He observes, and I feel like pushing him off the ledge. Of course he stole it.

"We had no idea!"

"I'm so so so sorry, how did I not notice that?"

"Oh my god he stole your car?!" That was what I got when I let everyone know. Of course he stole it. Of course he took the keys to Eliza's car and the rental. Of course he left his phone. Of course he gave foggy details about where he was going. Of course. He's an evil genius. I can't follow him, I can't get a hold of him, I can't go crash his little reunion with his little ex-girlfriend. Of course.

"So, it's been twenty minutes, what are you going to do to him?" Elliot's waiting for me to concoct the most perfect payback plan, but I just shake my head.

"I'm going to take my keys, get in my car, go home, and get ready for the concert."

"How'd you know it's a concert?"

"Lucky guess."

"So that's it? You're going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and just act like it didn't happen? Seriously? You strike me as the revenge type of girl."

"Oh, I never said I'm not going to act like it never happened! I'm going to pull a Brennen, the silent treatment, the apathy, the works. Oh, hey, he's back." Getting up, I walk over to lean on the Suburban, waiting for him to get out. I pull out my phone and text my brother a happy birthday, but Brennen doesn't know that.

"Hey, look, I'm sorry about taking your car but I couldn't find the keys to the rental." He waits for me to say something, anything, but I keep my eyes on my phone. "Um, are you ok?" I glance at him, then back to the tiny keyboard. "W-who are you talking to?" I hold out my hand, palm up, waiting for my keys.

"You, right now, and maybe later I'll talk to Jack, then maybe Sam. Maybe even Eliza, or Elliot, the possibilities are endless." My voice is sharp, bitter.

"What's wrong?" The look of innocence in his eyes is perfectly genuine, making me melt a little.

"Hey Romeo! What doth light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun!" Sam gets down on one knee, holding his arm out, singing to him. I have to hold back my laughter, only because I'm being emotionless. Brennen blushes, and throws a rock at him, but I'm still waiting for my keys. Brennen frowns at me, but he finally hands them over. I get in my car without another word, and back out as quickly as my Taurus would allow. Ugh! He just, ugh. Thank goodness I'm home, I don't think I could drive any farther without running over something. I ignore my phone again, Brennen's been calling since I left the house. I hurry inside, Brennen's little escapade leaves me little time to get ready. I get a quick shower, dry my hair as fast as humanly possible, and throw on the perfect concert outfit. Normal jeans, a black t-shirt, with a white tank top, barely peeking out from the under the hemline. I rock my hair up, put on some eyeliner and foundation, and I'm ready. Well, after I put on my lucky bracelet, I'm ready. Max, aka lead singer of Never Fails, gave it to me before I left California. Yes, last year I spent the summer in LA, and yes, we had a thing. I didn't even know he was in a band! But, nonetheless, I am more than excited to see him tonight.

A little more calm than the last time I was here, I pull up to Eliza's house. Only, the guys' car is gone. Oh god.

"Eliza! Where are they?" I run through the door, Eliza looks like she's been crying. "Oh my god."

"They said they were bored and left for the airport. They said your tantrum was the last straw, too." She sobs, falling onto the chair.

"What? This is all my fault?" She nods. Wait, that's Sam's hat. They're still here. Go with it, Natalie. "Oh my god. I didn't even get to say goodbye! To Elliot, to Sam, to Jack! I mean, I feel just down right terrible! Golly gee, I miss them so much already!" I sigh and throw myself on the couch, and hear a muffled, 'Oof!'