Windego...

Windego...

It sounded ever so slightly louder, maybe closer than it did last night. I didn't know what to make of it. I would ask Ben in the morning.

Every night, I sat to listen to the strange voice, whispering in the distance. Every night it seemed to get closer and closer. It frightened me somewhat, though also exciting me, for I enjoyed strange things such as this.

On the tenth day, we had been hiking all morning when, around two o'clock that afternoon, we found the exploration team. Or, what was left of it! The camp was laid out very neatly, the tents undisturbed. There were pots and coffee pitchers still hanging over long-dead fires. We looked in all the tents. Everyone was gone. It was as if they had just walked away, leaving everything! It was all perfectly undisturbed. This was a great mystery to us and there didn't seem to be anything we could do. So, we set up camp along side the other and prepared ourselves for night. I was very excited that night. I had wondered just how many nights I would hear the strange voice.

Again it was dark and I was ready to be frightened, for I supposed everyone enjoys a good scare every once in awhile. By eleven I had become very anxious. I had no idea that after tonight, I would never be the same again. Then, I noticed the sky turned dark pink, but there was something strange about it. It then became even more quiet than I had ever thought possible. I sat waiting to hear the voice. I couldn't hear anything. I was not prepared for what came next. The voice sounded directly behind me!\

WINDEGO!

I shot up from my seat! My gun, where was my gun? In the excitement of the evening I had forgotten my gun in my tent! I spun around to see something coming out of the woods. In the dim light I could could see it looked mostly like a man, but on the body of a horse!

The other men had come out of their tents to see what I was screaming about, when the creature, Windego, came into full view. It's hair shone in the pinkish moonlight; it's hooves digging in the soft dirt just twenty-some feet from where I now stood in dumb horror. Just as Ben came running to me with my gun the creature's eyes began to glow a bright yellow, deeply contrasting with the semi-darkness. It looked from man to man. The men started walking into the woods, dropping their guns or whatever else they were holding. The creature looked at Ben. Ben gave a wicked scream and staggered into the woods.

It was then that I realized what had happened to the exploration team. They had been turned into zombies and marched into the forests. Who knows what Windego planned to do with them! I was the only one left. It's yellow eyes turned to me and looked into mine. I could feel the creature tearing through my mind!

It knew what I knew. 

It saw what I saw. 

It heard what I heard.

The pain was intense! Colors were flying around me. The creature was trying to control my mind. I could not allow it! I then felt a new sensation. If only for a moment I could hear the minds of all those who were trapped by the control of this beast. They cried out for me to resist the power of Windego. To stay focused. I was trying! The pain was surging through my body! I watched as the creature tried with all of it's power to control me. My head felt as thought it would burst, when Windego snapped it's eyes shut in a scream of pain! It reared up on it's hind legs and disappeared into the forest. I had defeated the power of Windego! Then I ran as fast as I could will myself to run...

The sound of a train thundering past woke me. I later learned that three days earlier, I had, in a craze and with inhuman strength and speed, run through the forest to the train station I had left ten days ago. I could not feel or move my body. I screamed when I felt a hand on my face some time later. I then lost consciousness.

The doctors told me I had been unconscious for days. They asked me hundreds of questions: who was I, how old was I, where had I been recently? My mind was still numb. I couldn't understand what it was they wanted. They must not have likes my answers, because they brought me here. This wonderful place with white, padded walls and men singing and playing chess with themselves. The doctors thought I was crazy when I told them of Windego. They ordered me put in the East wing, until I awoke late one night and looked out of my window.

I screamed!

Windego was just outside, eyes glowing. It wanted me, but could not have me for I had defeated him. Instantly I was surrounded by men and women in white coats. They drugged me and put me in a room in the South wing. I had no windows.

This is the first time in forty-eight years they have let me out of that room. I still don't understand why they think I'm insane! What did I do to deserve being imprisoned like this?

Well, you've heard my story. Now tell me a little more about yourself. Why are you here?