Chapter Three

DO NOT KILL ME. I know I've been gone a ridiculously long time after promising an update right after the last one, but I'm a horrible person and that didn't happen so. Yah. I know this like one page, maybe two, but at least it's something, guys. Thank you so much for continued support(: I want to promise I won't be gone so long again, but I just can't. I'm sorry, loves, but I hope you'll continue to stick with me. I'll at least try to get something longer out soon. Soon-ish. We'll see. Anyhow, enjoy another teaser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panic gripped my stomach as I was dragged impossibly deep into the forest by my captor. He stayed silent, save for his labored breathing and clumsy footsteps. While his hold on me was strong and unwavering, he seemed oddly nervous.

“Here,” he muttered more to himself than me, before throwing me to the ground and, by the sounds of it, crouching down beside me. “Do you have any idea how long it took me to find you, you little brat?” He snapped.

I remained silent, my mind racing a thousand miles a minute as I calculated my chances of an escape back to Cole and the rest of our group. They seemed slim to none.

“Listen, and listen good, Cupcake,” he spat the word venomously, as if it disgusted him to even have the presence of such a combination of letters on his lips, “You may have thought the worst of it was over when they bagged Colby and Ralphie, but you have no clue what you’re in for now.”

            “Let me guess,” I spoke blindly into the darkness, trying to sound bored, “You’re going to kidnap me.”

            He let out a low chuckle. “Oh no, Sweetheart, not me. I’m simply working for the one who really wants you. I was hired to track you and nothing more. I’m kinda breaking my contract by talking to you, actually. I just figured I ought to let you know, Princess, you better watch your back. He may not be ready now, but soon, my boss will come for you.”

            “And who’s your boss?” I asked, not really expecting an answer. But, hey, it was worth a shot, right?

            My captor let out a snort. “If I told you that, I’d have to kill you.”

            How original, I thought sarcastically to myself.

            “Anyways,” he finally breathed, sounding exhausted, “I supposed I should get you back before someone figures out a worker didn’t grab you as part of the ‘experience’.” As he stood, he tacked one final warning onto the end of his spiel. “Oh, and don’t tell anyone about this little encounter, Sweetheart. Boss is always watching.”

            And with that, without another word, we were off. I was startled by how easily he slipped me back, as if I had never been gone. Cole, of course, had noticed my absence, but I simply brushed it off with some lie about getting pushed off the trail in all the chaos of the workers coming out.

            “Cole, please,” I pleaded, “it really isn’t a big deal nothing happened.”

            He continued to drag me along behind him, not listening much to my attempt at reasoning.

            “It is a big deal. You tried to tell me the workers go too far out here, and I wouldn’t listen.”

            I sighed and slapped a hand over my face. “And now I’m trying to tell you that a worker didn’t grab me. I just got shoved off the path by someone running by, and got a little off track.”

            “Don’t lie to protect them, that was wrong, Cass.” He glanced back at me with a frown and came to a halt, spinning so we were facing each other. “Besides, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if something had happened to you out there. I should’ve listened and just taken you to a movie like normal people on a first date.”

            My heart fluttered a little at what he had said, but I pushed the feeling aside. “Just please don’t complain to the owners. I’m alright, I promise. There’s no need to make a big deal out of it.” I pleaded with him silently with my eyes, to which he sighed.

            “Fine, I won’t say anything. But I also won’t be coming back here anytime soon either. Let’s just head back to the car, if that’s okay?”

            “That’s fine,” I consented with a nod. A small smile graced Cole’s lips as he grasped my hand in his again and began to walk once more.

            “I hope you’ll give me another chance, and go out with me again after tonight,” he murmured after a little while of comfortable silence.

            We came up beside the car and I grabbed him before he could break away to open my door. “Of course I’ll go out with you again,” I told him, reaching up on my tiptoes to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. I couldn’t be sure in the dark, but I thought I saw a light blush tint his cheeks.

            “Good,” his mouth curved up into a half grin as he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. My heartbeat sped up, seeing such a vulnerable look on his face. “Let’s go get something to eat.” His smile widened and he motioned for me to get inside.

~~~

            “Cassie!” Cortnee shrieked the second I stepped back into our room. She jumped up from her bed and rushed over to me, grabbing my arm so she could forcefully pull me back to her bed. “Tell me everything,” she demanded, face alight with eager happiness.

            I let out a breathy laugh and shook my head. “I think you’re more excited about me going on a date than I am.”

            She shrugged and practically started bouncing with excitement. “Yeah, yeah, just spill!”

            With a sigh I ran through all the details of my date with Cole, from the time he picked me up in the lobby, to our goodnight kiss outside the front doors of the building. Cortnee’s face held a dreamy look as she listened, traces of excitement rushing through her features as necessary. I thought she would explode with excitement when I got to the kiss- though it was just another innocent peck on the cheek. I did, however, conveniently leave out the tiny detail about being taken off the trail. She didn’t need to know everything.