The water felt so unbelievably gentle on my skin. The clear water ran down my scratches. It stung, but it was so satisfying.
I scrubbed the garbage stench off me and rinsed. I repeated the process multiple times until I no longer smelled like a dump.

I scrubbed shampoo and conditioner in my messy brown hair. I even found a small coffee bean in it. I flicked it in the garbage can with disgust.

The shirt gave me was slightly baggy from my lac of muscle definition. I used the leather belt to tighten the jeans. The black socks fit well enough.

Clarke was standing in the hall when I was done, already showered and dressed. There must've been another barroom in the house somewhere.

"At least you don't smell like shitty garbage anymore."

"I'll take that as a compliment."

"Clarke, I have prepared you two dinner." Eric announced.

We hurried down to the kitchen. My nostrils inhaled the sweet and spicy aroma.

Eric had made chili. My stomach growled he poured a large bowl of it for me. I added chili powder, salt, and pepper into the mix. Eric brought us water to drink.

"Anything else, gentlemen?" He asked kindly.
"Wine, perhaps?"

"Not tonight. Some milk would be good. Will?"

"I'm good with water. Never thought I'd miss it as much as I do."

It was perfectly chilled.

The chili was surprisingly better than my mom's. The peppers and tomatoes were so well made. The beans provided the proper amount of thickness for it.

"This is the best chili I've ever had." I wiped my face with a napkin.

"All the ingredients are home grown from the garden in the back yard."

"That's impressive. Much better than the preservative added city food."

Clarke agreed. We both had another bowl. The second one I added a little too much shaker pepper in, but it was still good.

A golden retriever ran out from outside. He was full grown with a shiny coat. In his mouth, he was carrying a chew toy.

"Hey, Tank!" Haven't seen you in a while." He greeted him with a friendly ear rub. He dropped the toy to Clarke's feet.

"He's a handsome dog."

"She." He corrected.

"She? And her name is Tank?"

"I begged my father to get her, but he wouldn't let me bring her to the city. So she lives here with Eric. I thought Tank was suitable for her for some reason."

"She tires me out, all she wants to do is play." Eric said with a smile.

I let her sniff my hand. She licked it and I petted her. She was so sweet.

"Sit." Clarke commanded. She sat down, wagging her tail.

"Good girl."  He fed her a treat and patted her head. She ran over and scratched at the wooden door.

He let her out and followed her. The sun was in the early stage of setting. I watched as Clarke found an old green frisbee and played with his pet through the kitchen window. 

This was Clarke. I thought. The real Clarke. Not some act he put on for his father. Not threatening Toni. This was him. And he was spectacular. I has feelings I didn't know I could have. Feelings I couldn't understand.

It was around eight when we prepared to sleep. We both were exhausted, physically, mentally, and emotionally.

He tossed me a loose T-shirt, flannel pajamas, and white socks. I changed and brushed my teeth the packaged tooth brush he provided.

He sat on the edge of the bed when I went in, flipping through a magazine. I went in.

"Question. If you guys are broke, how do you afford this? And the place in the city?"

"My dad paid for this in cash before the incident. Someone was murdered in this house or something, so it was discounted. Eric keeps the bills paid by selling milk and his organic fruits and vegetables. He was a loyal employee to my father for many years, until he hurt his leg. So we hired him here, he's grown pretty accustomed to it, I think."

"I can see why. It's great here. No loud cars, no police sirens. No drugs."

"No gun shots, no bullet holes." He finished.

I sat on the edge of the bed next to him.

"Exactly. I want something more. I'm sick of being afraid of dying."

"Don't be afraid of dying. I've heard dying is peaceful. Life is overbearing and loud. But sometimes, you find things that make it worth living.."

My heart thumped. Clarke was so real. He was so close to me. His eyes sparkled. I closed my eyes and leaned in, kissing Clarke King. He kissed back.

I kissed the Drug Lord's son.