19 THE TRUTH BEHIND IT

Evangelina Lawrence

   "Eve come on I know you hear me please." Angelica says and I roll my eyes.

   "Ma'am? Are you lost?" I turn around quickly making both of them to stop in their tracks.

   "I'm sorry? Eve? Come on I know it's you." Jorge says and I look at him confused.

    "I'm sorry. I don't know what your talking about. Who's Eve?" I ask and Marco looks at me.

    "You aren't Evangelina?" He asks and I shake my head.

     "No sorry." I say praying they don't recognize me.

     "Stop lying to me Eve. Your eyes are exactly the same." Angelica says and I curse.

     "Fine but I don't go by Eve. And I don't know you people." I say and I know Marco can see me getting worked up because he wraps his free arm around my waist.

     "Time to go." He murmurs in my ear and I nod.

     "Marco! Lina! I was wondering where you... oh sh*t." I hear Jack and look at him.

     "One get your hands off my daughter and two who are you?" Jorge says and Jack grabs my hand before I can slap him.

     "F*ck off Jorge. You aren't my father." I say and Angelica gasps.

     "Eve you can't talk to your father like that."

     "What the f*ck is up with your family? First Evan and now you two. Leave me the f*ck alone! I don't want you around me." I say and both of them gasp to which I roll my eyes.

     "Oh give me a break." I say fed up with this family.

      "They're early." I hear Jack mutter and look at him.

      "You knew?" I ask and he looks down.

      "Yeah. There's something we need to talk about too." He says lowly. And I roll my eyes.

      "What now?" I ask and Angelica clears her throat.

      "What b*tch?" I ask my patience shot already.

      "Mom, dad." Evan walks over and I step away from Marco and throw my hands up in the air.

     "What is up with you people? You left me! Or did you forget that." I yell and then see that we got the attention of Grandma Beth. I see Jorge move his hand behind Evan and then he grimaces. My eyes widen and I'm done.

    "We're leaving. Evan is coming with us." I say and grab his wrist before pulling him with me.

     "Jackie he's riding with you. Marco and I will met you back at the house let's go." I say and Jack nods and Evan follows him to his car.

     "You two leave us alone." I say as Marco grabs my hand and pulls me to his bike. He puts his helmet on and I put on mine before we get on and leave. The bag safely in my arms. We get to my house in 15 minutes and pull in right before Jack and Evan.

    "Why did you bring me?" Evan asks confused and I'm sure Marco and Jack are confused also.

     "Go inside and take your shirt off and don't even think about arguing with me I will rip it off you." I say and his eyes widen as Jack hands him the key and he goes inside.

    "Angel what's going on?" Marco asks and I look at Jack.

    "Jackie you know don't you. You saw it too didn't you." I say and Jack looks down.

    "Yes. I did. That's what I needed to tell you." Jack says and I nod.

    "Fine. Grandma Beth sent your favorite." I tell him and walk inside the other two following me. Evan stands with his back facing me and his shirt laying on the couch I watch as his back tenses. He turns and looks at me before he looks at the ground.

    "When I told you I didn't have I choice I meant it. Ev I'm so sorry. I don't know how many times I cried myself to sleep after we left you. I had to stop calling they broke my phone and were monitoring the house calls.." Evan says and looks at me his eyes watering.

     "How long has this been going on?" I ask and he looks down.

     "Since we were nine. He was gonna go after you but I wouldn't let him so he retaliated.. When he learned you and Jack were fighting he freaked. He was scared." Evan says and I walk over to him and run my hands over his torso. Bruises cover his skin all over. Scars of all sizes.

     "He couldn't take you so he had to figure out a way to make sure you never saw.. He realized that by the time he and Angelica learned you fought he was too late.. You already knew how to take on guys twice his size." Evan says and winces as I pass over a piece of skin that isn't purple or bruised. I look up at his eyes and see nothing but pain.

    "What happened here Evan?" I ask and he looks down.

    "N-nothing." He says and I roll my eyes.

   "Lay down on the couch." I say and he does as told. I press gently against the skin and watch as he groans in pain and Jack comes into the living room.

   "What happened?" Jack asks and I look up at him.

    "Jackie that low-life was breaking his bones." I say my voice deadly and I see Evan flinch from the corner if my eye. Marco comes in and walks over to me. He wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me up.

   "Your hurting him Angel." He murmurs and I look at Evan. Tears in his eyes as he closes them. His face in a grimace and his hands in fists.

    "Evan! I'm sorry. I'm not mad at you. I'm mad at that low-life. I take back what I said to you." I say and sit next to him on the floor.

    "I'm so so sorry I said all that to you." I say and Evan looks at me shaking his head.

    "Nah Ev. I'm sorry you didn't know. I'm sorry I couldn't help you. I'm sorry about your parents they were good people. Just in the wrong place at the wrong time." He says and grabs my hand.

    "Ev, Jack.. Your parents were murdered. Not hit by a drunk driver. That's what the doctors told everyone because Jorge did it. He shot them when he recognized them as Jack's parents... I'm so sorry guys." Evan says and I stand up. I look over at Marco and he looks at me.

    "Marco.. I.. I can't breathe." I tell him as I feel my lungs tighten and Marco looks at me before walking over and wrapping his arms around me.

     "Lay your head against my chest. Every time you feel me breathe you breathe too." He says and I do as he asked. It takes forever until I feel my lungs undo themselves.

    "Jackie.." I whisper but he turns his back to me.

    "This can't be happening." Jack says and Marco lunges at him as he goes to walk out the door.

     "Don't even." Marco growls at him and Jack struggles to get free from Marco's hold.

     "Marco get off me. You don't even know what I'm doing." Jack says and Marco leans down to Jacks ear and says something that makes Jack stop fighting. Marco stands and Jack rolls on his back. Marco looks at me and I look at the ground feeling numb.

     "Angel? Are you okay?" I hear Marco ask but I can't bring myself to answer.

     "He's going to pay." I say instead and hear all three boys sigh.