Chapter 3

That night I had a dream. I was running, scared out of my mind. I was running for my life, and something was chasing me. Something dark. Something with intent to kill. I couldn't see it but I could feel its presence. It wanted me. It was hungry and angry and it wouldn't stop hunting me until it caught me. I was running so fast I stumbled on my own feet and fell. It was close now; it would catch me. 

A dark figure slowly appeared from the shadows. It had red eyes and horns, black horns. Curling like the devil's. It stretched its hands toward me. I could see its nails that looked more like claws. They were coming closer. I shrieked, a high, panicked sound. It had caught me, and now it was shaking me.

"My Lady! My Lady!" a gentle voice urged. I opened my eyes. Lucian was looming over me. 

"You're ok," he said, brushing something away from my face. "It was just a dream," he whispered. 

I was panting and there was sweat dripping from my forehead. I was scared and confused. Lucian pulled me to his chest. He held me in his arms and stroked my hair. 

"It's alright" he whispered softly. "Go to sleep." Eventually, as I lay in his arms, my heartbeat returned to a steady rhythm and I fell asleep once more.

When I woke up, the maids were already there, but there was no sign of Lucian. I remembered last night while the maids helped me get prepared. I was surprised at the fact that I was still untouched. He hadn't even tried. He must have been tired from the long journey, but tonight there was no escape. Maybe I should talk to him and tell him that I wasn't ready yet, I thought.

"His Highness wants you to join him for breakfast, My Lady," the maid informed when she was done with my hair. She led me outside to a garden. There Lucian was standing with his back toward me and his arms crossed behind his back.

"Your Highness?"

He turned around and spoke. "My Lady, did you have a good night's sleep?" 

"I did, Your Highness. How about you?" He probably didn't, but it felt courteous to ask. I must have disturbed him with my dream. 

"I have slept well. Do you mind having breakfast with me?" I didn't expect him to be so polite.

"I would love to," I answered with a smile. 

The breakfast looked delicious. There were several dishes but because of the knots in my stomach that still refused to go away, I couldn't eat much. Instead, I would glance at the garden now and then. It was beautiful. There was a gorgeous range of flowers; roses, daisies, daffodils. Carved hedged depicted strange shapes all around the space. 

We had a beautiful garden back home too, but it was nothing compared to this. 

Lucian stood up from his seat and walked over to me, holding his hand out for me to grasp. 

"Walk with me," he said and I blushed. He must have noticed me ogling at the garden, but how could I not. Back home I rarely went outside because of my fathers' strict rules and now I was walking through the most beautiful garden I have ever seen.

"You never go out?" he asked, with a curious expression.

"No, my father would not allow it."

"So you have always been at home?"

"Yes," was my short reply.

"Well, you can walk around here anytime. It's our personal garden" He said with a charming smile.

"Really?" My voice was colored with excitement and surprise. He nodded.

 After walking for a while in silence, I decided now was the best time to bring up the consummation.