Chapter 31 - Judas

Chapter 31 – Judas

The two girls moved across the open ground as quickly as they could without attracting attention, but that wouldn't be a problem for long. The dim light of the fire behind them steadily brightened as the fire grew, feeding on the orchard and the fuel generously placed therein. They didn't have long before—

KABOOM.

First came the light, then the deafening roar. The initial explosion lit up the entire camp for a moment as if it were the middle of the day, sending a massive torrent of flame high in the sky. Kaylee dared not look behind her as the sound hit, like thunder. There was no turning back.

After the overwhelming roar of the fireball, came the yelling. Shouts of panic from John and Matthew, followed by more as the rest of the managers awoke. They wouldn't have long before they thought to check on the attendants, so they had to move quickly. As Beth and Kaylee rounded the corner of the cabins, they saw the silhouettes of some thirty attendants huddled in darkness, waiting. Some looked on in awe at the fire, some simply looked terrified. Kaylee ignored them for the moment, jogging forward from cover to cover to find Evan.

"Well, you certainly got their attention," Evan's voice muttered from the cabin on the far side of the camp as the two girls approached, squatting down beside him as he watched.

"Overkill is underrated," Kaylee shrugged, "How are we doing on this end?"

"Most of the attendants are away," he replied, "They're hiding behind the vehicle shed by the gate, we're waiting for everyone to get there before we load the truck." He looked out again, watching as the managers spilled out of their cabin, sprinting over to the fire. "Next ten away," he said quietly, and with a wave of his hand another ten of the remaining attendants sprinted off towards the vehicle shed without hesitation.

The remaining attendants watched as their fellows moved as quickly as possible, abandoning stealth now that the managers' attention was firmly focused on the other direction. When they reached the safety of darkness on the far side, Kaylee breathed a sigh of relief. Still, she knew that they didn't have long. The fire wouldn't keep them occupied forever.

"Everyone, we move now," Evan said gruffly, standing and beckoning the other attendants to get to their feet with him. "We all move directly for the truck, and we get out of here as quickly as we can. Everyone ready?"

"I'll bring up the rear," Kaylee nodded to the boy, and without another word, they were away.

Evan led the way, jogging across the open ground as the rest of the attendants followed closely behind. Kaylee waited momentarily, watching each go, and making sure that they were all getting away okay. She was about to run off herself when she saw one final silhouette against the cabin, crouched and almost too small to notice. It was only the slight tinge or bright orange hair in the darkness that gave her away.

"Judie, come on, we need to move," Kaylee whispered, reaching down and pulling the smaller girl to her feet. There was some resistance.

"Kaylee, I— I'm not sure about this."

"We're all a little nervous, but this isn't the time to start doubting," she took a knee so that she could be on even ground with the girl, before pulling her into a tight hug. "I trust you Judie, and right now I need you to trust me. Can you do that?"

There was a brief pause, before the girl nodded.

"Great, now come on kiddo, we don't want to miss our ride."

The two ran after the main group, and Kaylee had to slow her pace slightly to stay with Judie. As they moved, Kaylee could feel her heart pound, thumping in her ears to the point that she couldn't hear much else. It was only partially from the run; the rest was pure adrenaline from the pressure she was under. And still, through all of that, she didn't panic. She felt the air move steadily through her lungs, regulated with her pace. She felt the rhythmic thudding of her feet as they hit the earth, like a drum that beat steady and patient. She was more ready for freedom than she had ever been.