Goblins and Ghosts

Delilah paced the upstairs greenhouse, tugged her elbow length gloves all the way back up, dawned her plain black mask, and gave her spiky pink hair an experimental shake, then stuck her head out the window to look down at Millicent, who was pulling laundry down from a long clothesline.

"Oh, Millie, are you almost done with that?"

"Almost. I just want to bring this in before it gets dark."

"Hmm, yes." Delilah grinned at the lengthening shadows in the garden, happy that her plan to keep Millicent busy and out of the castle all day had worked. "Anyway, I don't want you to be late, so..."

"Late? Late for what?"

"The party. My party. It's being held in the throne room."

Millicent dropped the shirt she had been folding and said "Oh, shoot!", then started to pull laundry down so fast that clothespins went flying.

"I'm coming! I'll be there in a minute..."

"No rush. Just set that inside and come up when you're ready."

With this, the queen whirled around and left the greenhouse, entering the long hall of portraits that led to the throne room. Painted, snake-like eyes followed her as she walked past pictures of her ancestors. She stopped briefly at the painting of her smiling parents—her mother had her father in a headlock—and wished they could have been here for her party, though she was sure that wherever they were, they were happy.

"I wish I could retire and travel all over the place," she told the painting, pouting her lips, then chuckled and went through the enormous double-doors that opened onto the throne room, which was teeming with goblins, some towering over her, others scurrying around her legs as she made her way through the sea of scales, feathers, and fur to check on the progress of the decorations.

The room had been bedecked with purple and pink streamers and floor cushions that clashed magnificently with the green and yellow mosaic on the walls. Goblins ran here and there carrying plates of snacks and stacks of teacups, and a large banner reading "Happy Hatchday" hung over the throne, beside which lay a large blue wyrm, fast asleep, but with curls of steam rising from the end of its long snout.

"Happy Hatchday," Millicent said, gasping for breath and casting a concerned glance at the wyrm. "I wish you'd told me it was today."

"I kept it a secret on purpose, Millie. Last time you outdid yourself cleaning the castle and then slept through half the next day. Not this time! I have enlisted the help of my other guests, and all I need you to do is run down to the kitchens and bring enough candles for everyone."

Millicent nodded and began to count each goblin in the room, while Delilah gazed at the large stained glass clock window behind the throne. It glowed dimly in the last rays of the setting sun as its hands crept closer the appointed hour of the party.

"Go get the candles, Millie," Delilah said quietly. "And hurry, before we lock the doors."

"Lock the doors?"

"Of course. Hatchday tradition demands that no one leave until the last ghost story is told. You didn't forget that we tell ghost stories at hatchday parties, did you?" Delilah asked as Millicent blanched.

"N-no, I... So we have to stay the whole time?"

"The whole time. But that's what makes the party such fun. I would make it last all night, if I could.".

"Are goblin ghost stories scary? Human ones usually are, but..."

"Hmm, well, they used to be, but it seems like they've been lacking lately. And several of my guests last year actually went for comedy. Don't worry, Millie, I'm sure whatever story you tell will be fine."