19 | FAMILY

CHAPTER 19 | FAMILY

__________

Minutes, hours, days, Lauren had no idea how long they had been in that train car for. But they had been inside for enough time to prepare to fight. Almost everybody in the train car was creating some sort of weapon, Lauren had already made a pretty sharp one from the wood of the box they were in.

Lauren scraped another piece of wood against a new weapon she was attempting to make, it was somewhat sharp at the moment. She had the finished one in her back pocket.

The young girl turned her head to the left to see the boy in the sheriff's hat procuring his own weapon.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Lauren mumbled, watching as he glanced at her with a weak smile.

"Just...hoping this will even work," he replied with a small sigh.

"We're stronger than them, I think this can work," Lauren added on while looking around the train car to see everybody else working hard on getting a weapon made.

Carl stopped his sharpening for a moment. "If something happens, and...and you have a chance, just run. You might be able to escape safely."

Lauren halted her movements in shock. Did he really think she would ever try to bail for her own safety? If this was the old her, 100% she would. But not now.

"Carl, no, never! I don't care if there's a chance I can escape unless there's a chance for everybody. We do this, together, or not at all."

Carl looked up into her dark green eyes that were iridescent against the small bit of sunlight that shone through the train car. He felt mesmerized by the fact that she truly cared for the group. Even with the dirt and blood that cloaked her face, her smile was luminous. Not because of the look of it, but because of the fact that even after everything she's been through she has the strength to smile. And it was the most pure and rare thing Carl ever witnessed from her.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" Lauren questioned with a low chuckle. The boy quickly turned away as he attempted to hide his grin.

"You should smile more, it suits you," he mumbled bashfully while going back to his sharpening. The pale colour on Lauren's cheeks now hued a light pink. Luckily it was too dark for anybody to tell.

Before they could exchange another glance men's footsteps and voices were heard near their train car.

"Alright, got four of them pricks coming our way," Daryl announced. The group of people began to stop their crafting and stood up to fight.