Chptr 2: tricks of the mind

Chapter 2: A trick of the mind

Rory's point of view

"Omg! Piper! Pipes!stay with me!"

Shit she collapsed into another fit again. What doesn't surprise me though is that the halls are crowded but no one seems to care about the scene that just took place in front of their eyes. That's just how it works-well except for me of course...

Aw geez I was so worried about piper I didn't care if I was absent from next period-it was algebra anyways.

The 2nd bell rang signaling the start of 5th period as I walked out the door on the side of the school heading towards the field. I was sitting out there for about 20 minutes until piper came through.

"Holy Fudge" she said as she saw me holding her while outside.

"Sleep well miss ill take a nap whenever i like?" I teased her. She slapped my arm.

"Ouch" I protested dully

"You know I didn't mean to, and its not funny rory!" And I knew what she meant by that...and no she was not apologizing for slapping my arm.

Then I began zoning out-

I've known piper since we were 5 but that doesn't mean I know every secret she's keeping from me.

I remember that day, a day I can't forget...it was the 12th I was only 8. My mother came in frantically pulling me from under the covers and carrying me downstairs and out to the car. We ended up staying the night in a hotel. It was late but that didn't stop my mother from telling me-there was a fire. The next day at school they reported no child to be found with any resemblance to Harper as her family called her, when in fact I am the only one she ever told the truth. Her name is in fact truly piper. There was said to be another child involved but I had no thought about it. Quite frankly I didn't really care...I just wanted my best friend back and she was lost. A week later we moved to LA.

4 weeks later my mother came home holding onto a female with long beautiful ashen brown hair with many natural highlights. Her face seemed rather odd for it had a pitiful looking scratch just under her left eyebrow being camouflaged in, it was small but I could still make it out. What helped me though was that this face was all too familiar.

"Piper!" I screamed to loud for my mother to withstand my nosey attitude any longer.

"Rory! Pipe down and up to your room with you!"

But before I could attempt to obey I was tackled by piper...my piper.

"Rory! Rory! Dear Lord! RORY!" *smack*

"Ouwach!!!"

"Geez pipes!" "You didn't have to smack my head." I exclaimed actually hurt this time.

"Sorry, you weren't listening to me..."she trailed off.

"C'mon, let's get to class, I ain't missing lunch period and I haven't eaten all day..." She pulled me along and unfortunately for me started singing some crazy boy band song.

12:21

"Rory?" I heard taking me out of my trance as we walked into the lunchroom to shut our stomachs up.

If it wasn't for piper's uncomfortable look on her face I wouldn't have noticed all the stares we were getting. At first I thought it was the whale noises coming from my stomach attracting the attention but my thought was turned down.

Once again: "rory?! I don't think it's your stomach their staring at!" Then I felt a tugging at my hand as I saw piper glance her eyes towards our hands.

Piper just stood there attempting to pull away from my grasp. What a dumba** I scolded myself.

"Fuck it!" "Sorry pipes, I didn't realize..." I trailed off in an apologetic tone as I unclasped our hands.

"No rory, it's not your fault. You were.. You were just trying to keep me upright and focused after what happened earlier. Thank You" I was astonished at her taking the blame for an incident I had just created that had most likely ruined her social status from what I knew. I mean who wants to be thought of as that girl who hooked up with her bestfriend right?

What took me even more off guard was the fact as we took a few more steps, not everyone's gaze had averted the scene I had just created. Despite all the effort piper had put in to pry my hand off of hers; now she had grabbed my hand holding it tight again as if holding on for dear life.

Then the not so shocking to me choice of actions came next..

"Fuck Off ya skanks! Don't you have someone else to go suck face with rather than watch handholding?!?ya low life druggies!"

"Nice one" I mumbled to her in victory

"Thanks..I learned from the best."

"Me?" I questioned playing dumb.

"No. Your mom!" She replied playfully a smirk playing on her lips. Then she pulled me along down the steps of the arch at the back of the lunchroom out onto the patio and forced me down onto the seat beside her at a bench.

I broke the silence being the socially awkward one now.

"Sooo, are you gonna eat that cookie?" I tried my best putting on a playful smile.

*smack* *nudge*

"Owuach!!! Pipes!"

"My cwookie!"she said in the cutest voice she could.

Then I got smacked again for staring;at least my laughter hid the fact and reason behind the stare.