Bound for the Monster

Chapter 1 - Nadia's POV

Nadia shifted uncomfortably, staring up at the now visible full moon. How had she gotten herself into this? Pain seared through her limbs as her weight caused the ropes binding her wrist together to break the soft skin. Nadia watched the trickle of blood run down her arm and hung her head in defeat. She was alone, bound, and vulnerable to anything in these woods.

****

The people of her village had rushed into the council building, the rumors of devils and monsters lurking just outside our walls were spread faster than a cold and Nadia listened with curiosity. Some of the hunters had been attacked earlier that day, only one coming back alive. 

Women were ordered to stay in the back where they could be protected but not in the way. As sexist as that sounds, it was our ways since before the council leader was born. The loud voices of the men shook the walls as they demanded revenge or safety. 

Nadia with her two cousins slipped soundlessly from the other women as they went to find out more about these monsters. Slipping into the perfect hiding spot, Nadia and her cousins listened to the arguements before the council leader finally stood, speaking for the first time.

"SILENCE! It is obvious that if we send more men into those woods, they will only be killed. Our ancestors once dealt with another species of monsters that would take sacrifices in exchange for the rest of the village's safety. This, I feel, is our only chance," decalred the aging leader, his black eyes still filled with light and seeing all.

Murmurs spread as people wondered, who would be foolish enough to volenteer for such a thing. 

"I realize non of you wish to sacrifice yourselves, and in any case the sacrifice must be a young female girl between the age of ten and eighteen, accourding to legend," the strong voice continued and gasps rose from the women who had begun to take interest, finally. 

"Who would ever sacrifice their child?" called an outraged mother as she pulled her small children into her arms. "We do not need a parent to give up a child, we have orphans that will be suitable since they have not contributed to our society, they will now pay their dues," concluded the second in comand, his eyes shifting to where all the orphans huddled and Nadia pushed her way to them, blocking them with her body.

Nadia's mother had died during child birth and with her father killed this morning, she would now live with the orphans. Although she barely knew many of them, she knew most were under thirteen and the though of serving them to a monster was barbaric in her mind. 

"Ah, yes our newest orphan, the brave Nadia," chuckled the council leader, others joining in soon afterwards. Sticking her head up in defiance, Nadia glared at the council. How could they propose to sacrifice innocent girls? Cowards, Nadia thought in disgust.

"You are seventeen, my dear, correct?" mused the second in command, a smile formed as he appraised Nadia making her stomach roll. Nodding stiffly, Nadia knew what was to come.

******

Now here she was, gagged, wrists and ankles bound, and hanging from a pole with her toes barely able to reach the stump in order to support herself.  Every twig snap, rustle, and noise caused another fresh wave of fear and helplessness wash over Nadia.

No, Nadia thought as she stumbled slightly on her toes, she would not let the monster see her fear. For her father's sake, she must stay strong, Nadia concluded. A stray tear trailed it's way down her face as she thought of her father, her only family that had been murdered in these very woods only hours ago. 

Nadia knew that the monster would be here soon. Gritting her teeth, Nadia refused to acknowledge her situation as she hung vulnerably to any creature prowling the pitch black night.

As the night dragged on, Nadia let her eyes close and her head lull to the side as she thought about the good times with her father and this brought her into a restless sleep. As Nadia blocked out everything, she didn't hear the rustles near by as glowing eyes stalked nearer.

__________________________________________________________________

Hey readers, please leave a comment letting me know what you think of this idea!

Hope you like it and I will post more soon!