Chapter Forty Eight.

I sit in silence on our bed, wringing my hands together as I try to calm my nerves. No one else is in the room; I'm completely alone. We were trying to bring the omen back to see if it had anything more to say to me. When I had said earlier that I would do it, that I would see the omen again, I didn't exactly mean right that minute, but Adrasta was adamant, and I found it hard to say no to the ancient witch. Even Harry seemed to be on board with the idea when Adrasta told him that the omen would never hurt me.

They were just in the other room, but I couldn't help but feel on edge. The room was so quiet, I could hear the air conditioning as it pushed air through the vent. I could hear the wind as it blew on the trees outside. The large windows on the other side of the room didn't show much, the only light coming from the small candle Adrasta had lit just before she left me in this room. She said that anymore light and the death omen would be deterred and wouldn't show.

"This is so stupid," I mumble to myself, looking around the room. It's been half an hour, and there has been no sign of this stupid death omen. Was Adrasta pulling my leg, playing her mind games like she always was?

I shake my head, laughing at myself for actually believing in her games and stand up from the bed. No sooner do I stand up when I hear a rush of cold air next to me, and a shiver runs down my spine. I close my eyes briefly and take a deep breath before turning toward the chilly air.

In front of me stood the death omen. There was more light in the room than before, so I was able to see more detail this time. They were wearing a cape, much like that of a reaper. The cape formed a shadow over their face, so I couldn't see their expression, but the cloth itself looked old and worn, almost decaying.

They pulled back their hood, revealing a a beautiful young woman. Her hair was black, if not an intense dark brown. Her lips were covered in a deep red, her eyes in the same color. She was beautiful. I stare at her as she looks at me, a smirk present on her lips. She walks closer to me, and I unconsciously take a step back before stopping, realizing and remembering that I need to let her come to me. I notice that her lip, while they are red, they are not covered in lip stick. Instead, I found, they were covered in blood. Another shiver shook me, and I couldn't stop the tremors.

She brought her lips to my ear, her lips grazing my cheek briefly. I could feel the blood wiping on my cheek, and I throw up slightly in my mouth. I feel her lips open by my ear as her hot breath pushes the hair by it slightly. She pauses slightly before speaking.

"They're coming for you," she whispers into my ear again.

"Who?" I manage to whisper back. "Who's coming?"

"The red wolves are coming, the red wolves are coming," she whispers, pulling back with a smirk on her face. She laughs a horrible laugh, like nails on a chalkboard as she screeches.

"What do you mean?" I say, confused. I pull back from her, uncomfortable at her closeness. She moves very close to me, her breath on my face. Her breath smells like rotting death, and I have to say that it simultaneously suits her yet doesn't. She looks so beautiful, but she's rotting from the inside out.

"The red wolves are coming," she says, a giggle bubbling from her lips before she dissolved into the air.

"Harry," I shout for him. "She's gone now." The door instantly bursts open, Harry running into the room. He came up to me and wrapped him arms around me, pulling me close to him. I could tell that he had a hard time with this, even when he knew I wasn't going to be hurt by the omen.

He looks me over, making sure there aren't any obvious signs of me being injured before asking me any questions.

"What did the omen say?" Adrasta questions, getting impatient with Harry.

"It first said the same thing it said to me before, that they were coming for me, and then it paused and told me that the red wolves are coming." I look at everyone, but no one's eyes seem to light up in any form of recognition. "Does that make sense to anyone?" Harry shakes his head, his fingers coming up to his forehead, placing pressure there as he thought.

"That doesn't make any sense," he says, thinking aloud. "The only thing close to that would be rogue wolves, but they aren't red. There's no type of red wolf in existence right now, and in our history. There aren't even any prophecies about them," he says, obviously exasperated.

"Could it be talking about the rogue wolves?" Ariadne pipes up. "After all, they do spill a lot of blood. Maybe the red doesn't really mean the color of their fur?" Adrasta shakes her head.

"No," she says. "That's too obvious. Death omens never speak clearly, and they almost never make sense until the event is here. It's not going to be that easy. There has to be something that we're missing here." The room falls silent once again as everyone tries to figure out what the words from the omen could mean. Every once in a while, someone tells a theory, but they're shut down within seconds by Adrasta.

"What if," I say, a lightbulb going off in my head. "What if it was talking about a blood moon? Her lips were caked in blood. That would make sense right?" Adrasta doesn't outright say my theory is crazy, so I think that's a good sign. "When's the next blood moon?" I ask, and Zayn pulls out his phone to check. He looks at his phone surprised, and he keeps refreshing the page.

"When is it?" I ask again, and he looks up at me with pain in his eyes.

"It's tomorrow night."

---

so sorry i've been shoddy with the updating, i am really trying to update as quickly as i can for you guys, but i'm getting some severe writers block, and i'm also writing another story as well that i'm going to post probably in the next couple of months. i am still going to continue the story, and i'm going to try to publish as quickly as i can, i just want to apologize if i come off as seeming to not care as much about the story as i did before! i can assure you all that i still care very much, i'm just going through a rough spot with it right now!

if you enjoyed the chapter, please make sure to hit that vote button and comment your thoughts down below! what do you think about the red wolves theory? ;)

xx winter