8. Understanding

It was now the middle of July, things were settling down slowly. We still haven't met the Alpha, but Jonathan and Shirley decided, that we might do it this weekend, when all their other kids finally arrive for their spring break. Shirley is organizing a family dinner, a couple of other people invited as well, mostly the ones I know, like Hannah, Lena and Doc Evans, and I am very excited. If the son's are as awesome as their parents, than the dinner would be a pleasant experience. After that if everything is fine with the most important part of the pack, I would get invited to a pack gathering and get accepted officially. For now everybody thinks, that I'm here just for a visit of sorts, even though Doc Evans gave me the job, which means that I'm staying for way longer, but anyway, as long as I'm not accepted, I'm visiting. Although it's not a common practice to accept a human into a werewolf pack, Jonathan reassured me that it would be ok. 

Me and Lena are getting pretty close, I feel that we are becoming friends, and it's nice to have someone closer to my age to hang out with. Don't get me wrong, Hannah, Doc Evans, Jonathan and Shirley are awesome, but they are more like family to me, and I could really use a friend. Sometimes she comes by our place to hang out with all of us, sometimes we meet up in town for lunch or dinner. This time was similar - it was a Sunday afternoon, the weather was excruciatingly hot, I was sitting on the swing in our backyard (fortunately the swing was in the shadow), thinking about everything and nothing, trying to create some wind with a newspaper. 

Lena appeared out of the woods wearing a loose t-shirt and tiny shorts, I figured she ran to here in her wolf form. 

"Giiiiirl, why so gloomy! You look like cheese in a microwave", she danced my way, laughing at my appearances. I indeed looked like melted cheese, but can you blame me? It was hot outside, I was pregnant and decomposing of boredom. 

"Yeah, I know. A bowl of melted ice cream looks more appealing then me right now, right?", I smirked her way. She laughed brightly and sat on the swing next to me.

"I would use some ice cream now, wanna go to the diner and devour some banana split?", Lena loved ice cream, and right now the thought of a air conditioned space was very appealing to me. 

"Oh, yes, a wise thought, my furry friend!", I smirked again and Lena giggled at that.

"You're playing with fire here, we, wolfs, are proud creatures, you should treat us with respect!", she said in an extremely exaggerated tone. "I should decapitate you!" She jumped off the swing and pretended to take out a sword and wave it in the air. I burst out laughing like crazy.

"Ahhaaaa, you are hilarious!", I laughed so hard, that I had to put my hands on my belly, and Lena seemed satisfied with her performance.

"Ok, jokes aside, ice cream awaits! Go change and let's go!", she commanded, I looked at her confused. 

"Change? Why? I'm comfortable like that.", I said, but then decided to use my puppy eyes, "Am I not good enough for you? Are you ashamed of me?", my lower lip started to tremble, thank you mother for making me take a drama class in school. The look on Lena's face was precious - she got that guilty expression and lost her words for a moment. Soon enough she realized, that I was playing her and laughed out loud again. 

"You don't fool me, human!", she squeaked through laughter. "But seriously", she said after calming down, "You will melt even more in those jeans, don't you have a dress or shorts? Something more suitable for the weather?"

I looked down on my dark green yoga pants and my mood became a bit gloomier.

"Nope. I have an ugly gash on my thigh, don't want anyone staring.", I said quietly but calmly. Lena's eyebrows furrowed and she sat next to me once again.