Chapter 3: Palace Life

"If you're that bored, why don't you just go to bed?"

"Because Momma didn't raise no quitters."

"You don't have a mother.  Wait, do you?"

"No."

"I see.  Carry on, I suppose."

---------------------------

Y/N Charming, Crown Princess of the Kingdom of Gravitallia, was bored out of her mind.

She drummed her fingers irritably against the armrest of the hard-backed chair she'd been sitting in all morning, looking over reports of crops and other deathly dull matters of the kingdom.  Tax returns, censuses, and other mundane issues cluttered her desk, all demanding her attention.

The study was dark except for a single window in front of her.  The room adjoined the massive library, which was where most of the kingdom's paperwork was kept.  

I am so bored right now, she thought for the thousandth time.  Don't we have clerks for this?  Why do I have to do this myself?

The trees swaying in the breeze outside gave her an idea.  Standing up from her uncomfortable chair, she threw the window open.  A stiff breeze gusted through the room, sending the papers on her desk all over the room.

"Oh no!" she said in fake shock.  "Whatever shall I do?  I can't clean up this mess in time for lunch!  I guess I'll just have to-"

She stopped talking to the empty room and made her exit with a satisfied smirk.

The gigantic castle Y/N called home was, as always, bustling with activity.  She passed a maid carrying a stack of linens with a smile and nod.  As soon as she was out of sight, Y/N leaped onto the banister and recklessly slid down the spiral staircase.

She landed lightly on her feet at the foot of the stairs, feeling quite proud of herself until she realized her mother was standing right in front of her.

"Y/N," Melody Charming said with a tight-lipped frown.

"Mother," Y/N said, mirroring her expression.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't just see that.  Have you finished your duties?" the queen said disapprovingly.

Y/N shuffled her feet awkwardly.  "Well... I was almost done, but the window was open, and everything blew out of order, so I couldn't finish."

The queen raised an eyebrow.  "I'm getting a little bit tired of these weak excuses, Y/N.  You know the kingdom depends on you."

Y/N sighed.  "I know, mom.  Please don't give me the speech again."

Melody's expression softened.  "I know this is hard on you.  Your father and I aren't as young as we used to be, and more of the responsibility is passing on to you.  But it won't always be like this, dear.  Once you get married, you can share the burden-"

Y/N cut her off with a bitter laugh.  "Because that's all I'm good for, isn't it?  To be married off to a stranger for the sake of the kingdom?"

The instant she said it, she regretted it.  It was unfair and she knew it.  Her parents, strict though they may be, would never force her to marry against her will.  She'd heard the fairy-tale story of how they met and fell in love too many times to accuse her parents of being uncaring now.

"Sorry, Mom," she mumbled, abashed.  "I didn't mean that."

"Just get dressed before the luncheon," Melody said with a queenly poker face.